Woman gang-raped in Chhattisgarh, five held
Raipur: A 26-year-old woman was allegedly gang-raped after being abducted by five men near a railway station in Chhattisgarh`s Durg district, police said on Sunday.
Five youths have been arrested in this connection, they said.
The offence took place near Power House railway station of Bhilai on the intervening night of Friday and Saturday, Chhaoni SP (City) Ravindra Upadhyay told PTI.
According to the victim, she had returned from Ambikapur via bus and deboarded at Power House on Friday late night. When the woman was looking for a transport to go to a hostel near Venkateshwara talkies where she resides, a man approached her asking if she needed help.
Later, the man took her to an isolated place near the railway station where his four friends were already present. The men then took turns to rape her, the victim alleged.
After the crime, the accused fled from there leaving the woman in a semi-conscious state, Upadhyay said.
When locals noticed the woman on Saturday morning, they called up an ambulance and informed police, following which she was rushed to Durg district hospital, he said.
She is undergoing treatment at the hospital where her condition is stated to be normal, he said.
"A case has been registered and five men were arrested in this connection," the top cop said, adding that the identification parade of the accused was yet to be done, hence their names could not be disclosed.
The woman was married but had been living separately alone at a hostel in Bhilai, the SP added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: APJ Abdul Kalam's last journey, India bids a tearful adieu
- DNA : Justice delivered; India hangs 1993 Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon
- 'People's President' APJ Abdul Kalam laid to rest in Rameswaram
- Robert Vadra explains Facebook post, denies insulting Parliament
- Shashi Tharoor condems Yakub Memon's hanging
- Yakub Memon: The two men who lead police to 'House of Memons'
- Why did you choose Smriti Irani as HRD minister? Congress leader asks PM Narendra Modi
- Meeting called by Speaker fails to end Parliament logjam; government indicates all-party meet
- Rajnath slams UPA for coining 'Hindu terrorists', Congress accuses BJP of playing politics on terror
- Cristiano Ronaldo great, but Lionel Messi is greatest: Xavi Hernandez