Woman Naxal, whom Maoists wanted freed, applies for bail
Raipur: On the day when abducted Sukma Collector Alex Paul Menon was freed, a jailed woman Naxal, who was among the extremists whose release was demanded by Maoists in exchange for the IAS officer, applied for bail.
Meena Chaudhary is in prison since January 2008 for her alleged involvement in Naxal activities in Chhattisgarh.
Chaudhary`s lawyer Sadiq Ali today told a news agency that he has filed a bail application on behalf of his client in a local court. The plea will be heard tomorrow.
Ali said he was contacted by two Maoist mediators BD Sharma and Prof G Hargopal yesterday and told to file bail applications for Chaudhary and another woman Naxal Malati.
Bail plea of Malati could not be filed as her family members failed to arrive in the city today, he said.
Chaudhary and Malati were arrested over four years ago in connection with the seizure of a huge cache of arms in Dagania area of the state capital. The trial in the case is currently on.
Chaudhary and Malati were among 17 persons whose release was demanded by Maoists for freeing Menon.
Chief Minister Raman Singh has clarified that no assurance has been given other than the agreement reached with Maoists for reviewing the cases of all prisoners languishing in Chhattisgarh jails, including the cases demanded by the Maoists.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trouble mounts for Salman Khan as driver reiterates that actor killed blackbuck
- PM Modi to chair NITI aayog meeting today
- Narsingh Yadav dope scandal: NADA set to announce verdict today
- Protests in Kashmir were fuelled by LeT: Hafiz Saeed
- Cabinet approves changes to GST Bill, drops 1% additional tax
- No question of tampering with samples of shot putter Inderjeet Singh: NADA boss
- New Israeli settlement plans `provocative and counterproductive`: US
- One billion iPhones have been sold: Apple CEO Tim Cook
- US prosecutors drop all charges in Freddie Gray death
- Leigh Griffiths puts struggling Celtic in Champions League driving seat