Youth Cong workers try to gherao C`garh CM`s residence
Raipur: The police on Friday used water cannons and teargas to disperse scores of Youth Congress workers as they attempted a `gherao` of the Chief Minister`s house here protesting over the Kanker rape case.
State Youth Congress chief Uttam Vasudev led the workers who clashed with police near Subhash stadium.
Additional Superintendent of Police Lal Umed Singh said that around 2,000 workers, including Vasudev and Amit Jogi, were arrested and later released.
Vasudev claimed that 25 workers were injured as police lathicharged them.
So far eight people, including two teachers and two officials, have been arrested for alleged sexual abuse of minor inmates of the government-run residential school for tribal girls at Jhaliyamari in Kanker district.
The incident was first reported on January 06. Medical examination has confirmed rape of nine girls.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I know why Indrani Mukherjea murdered my sister Sheena: Mikhail Bora
- OROP issue: With no breakthrough in sight, Army veterans may meet PM Narendra Modi today
- Sheena Bora murder case: All that we know about Indrani Mukherjea
- Pregnant teen buried alive, wakes up in coffin
- Sheena Bora murder case: Indrani Mukherjea's former husband, Sanjeev Khanna, arrested by Mumbai Police