Youth killed in Naxal attack, two injured
Raipur: A 30-year-old kabaddi player was killed and two others were injured after suspected naxals opened fire at them in Chhattigsarh`s Rajnandgaon district, police said on Monday.
One kabbadi player was killed and two others were injured after three naxalites opened indiscriminate fire at them during a kabaddi match in Umarpal village under Khudgaon police station limits of the district yesterday, Superintendent of Police (SP) Sanjeev Shukla told PTI over phone.
The deceased has been identified as one Parmeshwar, a native of Lohttar village of the district who died on the spot, police said adding that the injured, Birbal and Rajuram, residents of the nearby villages, were rushed to a government hospital in the area.
"The match had been organised by the villagers and the naxals, who were sitting among the viewers, suddenly drew their firearms and opened fire before fleeing away from the scene," he said.
A case has been registered in this connection, he said adding that investigation was on.
While police are yet to ascertain the exact reason behind the attack, they suspect that since Parmeshwar`s brother is posted as an assistant constable with Lohttar police station, the naxals might have targeted him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part II
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part III
- Panel discussion over India losing NSG membership bid Part IV
- Chennai: Woman Infosys employee stabbed to death at railway station
- IIMC Results 2016: IIMC entrance exam result 2016 (www.iimc.nic.in) to be declared today on June 24, 2016
- Feeling depressed? Go for a walk!
- Pak, Afghan to set up bilateral mechanism to address border issues
- 'Finding Dory' Box Office collections: Opens well in India, mints Rs 7.68 crore!
- Two killed in truck collision in UP