Youth killed in Naxal attack, two injured
Raipur: A 30-year-old kabaddi player was killed and two others were injured after suspected naxals opened fire at them in Chhattigsarh`s Rajnandgaon district, police said on Monday.
One kabbadi player was killed and two others were injured after three naxalites opened indiscriminate fire at them during a kabaddi match in Umarpal village under Khudgaon police station limits of the district yesterday, Superintendent of Police (SP) Sanjeev Shukla told PTI over phone.
The deceased has been identified as one Parmeshwar, a native of Lohttar village of the district who died on the spot, police said adding that the injured, Birbal and Rajuram, residents of the nearby villages, were rushed to a government hospital in the area.
"The match had been organised by the villagers and the naxals, who were sitting among the viewers, suddenly drew their firearms and opened fire before fleeing away from the scene," he said.
A case has been registered in this connection, he said adding that investigation was on.
While police are yet to ascertain the exact reason behind the attack, they suspect that since Parmeshwar`s brother is posted as an assistant constable with Lohttar police station, the naxals might have targeted him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Sachin Tendulkar joins Narendra Modi's #SelfieWithDaughter campaign
- BJP MP Hema Malini injured, one child killed in Dausa road accident
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- PMO seeks report on Air India flights delayed by Fadnavis, Rijiju; Aviation Minister apologises
- Washington Navy Yard lockdown: As it happened