Youth should participate in political process: Sushma Swaraj
Raipur: Expressing concern over youth getting cynical about the political system and democracy, BJP leader Sushma Swaraj on Monday said that youth should bring about change by participating in the political process.
"I am deeply worried to see the present scenario of politics in the country. Today, the biggest challenge is that people leading the young generation make the youth lose faith in democracy," she said, addressing the state-level convention of Chhattisgarh`s Bharatiya Janta Yuva Morcha (BJYM) which began on Monday at Vivekanand Parisar in New Raipur.
"They (referring to the new youth leadership) say that the whole system is corrupt and distorted. But I like to remind the youth that if democracy dies, then dictatorship is bound to occur and you should not allow that to happen," the Leader of Opposition in the Lok Sabha said.
She said the youth could bring about revolutionary changes in society through democracy and BJYM workers should tell the youth to participate in the democratic process. They should attach themselves with ordinary people, she said.
Presently, though youth organise themselves and assemble at places by using social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter, it lacks leadership, she said.
"All those who lead them say that the system is corrupt and encourage them to go against the democratic process...It is a challenge before young party workers to go and tell the youth to exercise their voting rights in order to bring about change by participating in the democratic process," she said.
Attacking the Congress for Home Minister Shushilkumar Shinde`s "saffron terror" remark, Sushma said, "The saffron colour is a symbol of our traditions, culture and sacrifices. Linking saffron with terrorism is like bringing down the dignity of Indian culture and sacrifice."
"The power of saffron can be seen at the Mahakumbh, underway at Allahabad, where three crore devotees took a holy dip at the Sangam on Mauni Amavasya yesterday. This was the power of Hindus which is being called terrorism," she said.
If the Centre has names of some former RSS and BJP workers allegedly involved in terrorist activities, it doesn`t means that the entire organisation can be labelled as a terrorist group, she said.
"Several Congress leaders including Mahipal Maderna, Gopal Kanda, Suresh Kalmadi and several others are involved in criminal cases, but we never said that the Congress is a criminal organisation," she said.
Mocking the Congress for its dynastic politics, she said that the youth have ample opportunities to rise in politics within the BJP, since the prime minister`s post is not reserved for one family in her party.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Mathura rally: PM Modi's ten power-packed dialogues
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- UBSE Results 2015 (ubse.uk.gov.in): Uttarakhand 12th Result 2015 to be announced today at 11 AM
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- CBSE Class X Board Results 2015 to declared tomorrow
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in