10 yrs jail for retired cop for raping woman in police station
New Delhi: A retired Delhi Police official has been sent to 10 years in jail for repeatedly raping a widow in a police station 15 years ago by a fast track court which said he does not deserve leniency as he committed the crime under the "shield of his uniform".
The court also observed that even after the brutal December 16 gang-rape here prompting the government to take some stern measures including making amendments in criminal law, incidents of rape continue unabated.
"One of the reasons may be that sentences handed over to the rapists by judiciary are not deterrent enough. In my opinion, in order to avoid recurrence of the incidents of rape, it is absolutely necessary to ignore insignificant mitigating factors and to impose stringent sentences upon the rape convicts," additional sessions judge Virender Bhat said.
Apart from the jail term, the court also imposed a fine of Rs one lakh on 70-year-old Brahamjit, who was a sub inspector posted at Jaffarpur Kalan at the time of the incident in 1998, and said, if realised, the amount should be given to the victim.
The court pulled up police for its "shoddy and flimsy" probe in the case to shield their colleague.
"... The victim, a helpless and lonely widow, was pitted against the whole police department. It would have required intense courage for her to continue struggle against the whole police department and fight for justice to her," it said.
The woman, who was 35 at the time of the crime, in her complaint before a magistrate had said that on the night of April 12, 1998, Brahamjit came to her house and illegally took away her son and kept him in custody.
He again came to her house on the morning of April 20 and forcibly put her and her daughter into a jeep but left her daughter when the neighbours protested, she said.
The woman said she was confined at the police station till next morning and was raped by Brahamjit repeatedly. He had also threatened to kill her if she disclosed the incident to anyone.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- CBSE Class 12th Board Exam Results 2015: cbseresults.nic.in crashes
- CBSE Results 2015: Girls outperform boys in Class 12 Board Exams