100% jump in corruption cases in Tihar Jail
New Delhi: Cases of corruption in Tihar
Jail seem to be on the rise this year with statistics showing that at least 12 such cases were reported in the first seven months of the year, a 100 per cent jump from last year.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullapally
Ramachandran informed Lok Sabha that 12 cases of corruption
and illegal activities were reported this year so far as
against last year`s figure of six.
"The Government of Delhi has intimated that the cases of corruption and illegal activities reported are dealt with departmentally," Ramachandran said in a written reply.
He was replying to a question whether there were instances of rampant corruption, irregularities, mismanagement
and extending extra facilities in violation of jail rules
reported from Tihar Jail.
According to the statistics, there were seven such
cases in 2008 while there were eight cases in 2009.
Ramachandran said that the service records of all the
staff have been scanned to single out persons of doubtful
It was emphasised on the Superintendents to ensure the
integrity and upright conduct of subordinate staff under the
conduct rules and mount surveillance on those with doubtful
integrity, he said.
"The staff is frequently rotated at all levels in
different jails so that they do not develop vested interests
on account of longer stay in any prison," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Barack Obama thanks Americans for making him a 'better man'
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened