100% jump in corruption cases in Tihar Jail
New Delhi: Cases of corruption in Tihar
Jail seem to be on the rise this year with statistics showing that at least 12 such cases were reported in the first seven months of the year, a 100 per cent jump from last year.
Minister of State for Home Affairs Mullapally
Ramachandran informed Lok Sabha that 12 cases of corruption
and illegal activities were reported this year so far as
against last year`s figure of six.
"The Government of Delhi has intimated that the cases of corruption and illegal activities reported are dealt with departmentally," Ramachandran said in a written reply.
He was replying to a question whether there were instances of rampant corruption, irregularities, mismanagement
and extending extra facilities in violation of jail rules
reported from Tihar Jail.
According to the statistics, there were seven such
cases in 2008 while there were eight cases in 2009.
Ramachandran said that the service records of all the
staff have been scanned to single out persons of doubtful
It was emphasised on the Superintendents to ensure the
integrity and upright conduct of subordinate staff under the
conduct rules and mount surveillance on those with doubtful
integrity, he said.
"The staff is frequently rotated at all levels in
different jails so that they do not develop vested interests
on account of longer stay in any prison," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Panel discussion on Hafiz Saeed's reaction after Indian Army surgical strikes
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read