New Delhi: Do you know that Rajpath that
overlooks the magnificent Rashtrapati Bhavan was once called
It is not Rajpath alone that has over the years been
renamed in Lutyens Delhi -- once the capital of the British
empire -- but several other English names in Rajdhani Dilli
have made way for Indian ones.
As the Indian government set about making Delhi its
capital, many roads were named and renamed after leaders of
modern India, in the process of erasing the memory of the
Rajpath, the ceremonial boulevard of the country that
runs from Rashtrapati Bhavan through Vijay Chowk to India
Gate, right up to the National Stadium, was once called
Likewise, the Motilal Nehru Marg, which houses the likes
of the Chief Minister of Delhi, was once called York Road when
Edwin Lutyens started building New Delhi in 1912.
New Delhi, the capital of the modern India, turns 100
on Sunday and a lot of things have changed in the city, the
names of roads being just one of them.
Teen Murti Marg, that houses the Nehru Memorial Museum
and Library, was once known as Roberts Road and the present
day Rafi Marg was known during the British Raj as Old Mill
The original name of Tees January Marg, which got its
name after Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated on January 30, 1948
at Gandhi Smriti, is Albukerd Marg.
While the erstwhile Canning Road is now called Madhavrao
Scindia Marg, after the Congress leader who died tragically in
2001, G B Road is known as Swami Shradhananda Road.
However, the Connaught Place, the centre of the British
capital, retains the original names of its roads, with
Chelmsford Road, Minto Road, and Hailey Road yet to be