New Delhi: Over 10,000 autorickshaws will go off the city roads from Monday with Delhi government deciding to cancel their permits for failing to comply with the prescribed guidelines.
Officials in the Transport Department said all permit holders of autorickshaws in the city were told in November last year to apply for smart card-based permits as part of the government`s efforts to maintain proper records of the three-wheelers.
Despite extending the date for applying for smart card-based permits several times in the last one year, over 10,491 permit holders failed to apply for the same following which the Transport Department has decided to cancel their permits, they said.
The government had decided to introduce smart card-based permits to keep digital records of the autorickshaws, including offences committed by auto drivers.
According to official figures, Delhi has about 55,000 autorickshaws at present.
Following persistent demands by auto unions, Delhi government had effected a 35 per cent hike in auto fare in June this year but had warned them that they will face action if they fail to improve their services.
The government had also told auto unions that permits will be cancelled if the autorickshaw owners fail to install Global Positioning System (GPS) in their vehicles within the next six months.
However, auto owners have not heeded to the instruction so far, officials said.