11 die, 200 fall ill during Holi in Delhi; 5300 booked
New Delhi: The festival of colours turned
tragic for several families in the capital as at least 11
people died in accidents, including the drowning of a boy,
while around 200 fell ill during Holi revelry.
Police were on full force in the city during the festival
yesterday with the traffic wing conducting special drives in
which 5,300 people were challaned for traffic violations,
including 650 for drunken and dangerous driving.
According to figures given by police, ten people were
killed in road accidents yesterday here as against 14 last
year. Out of the 14 killed in accidents last year, five died
on the day of Holi while others succumbed to their injuries
In a tragic incident, 12-year-old Sonu drowned after he
fell into a pit allegedly dug by Delhi Jal Board for laying
water pipeline in south Delhi`s Panchasheel Enclave.
Fire brigade personnel later fished out the body.
A case has been registered and notices were slapped on
Delhi Jal Board and Delhi Development Authority for not taking
precautions at the site.
On the number of road accidents this year, police said
they recorded double the number at 42 than last year`s 21.
There were also reports tonight about five deaths due to
consumption of spurious liquor from east and south-west Delhi.
However, there was no official confirmation.
AIIMS Trauma Centre said it received around 200 people
yesterday who became ill or were injured during Holi revelry.
Police said during the special drive conducted by the
traffic wing, motorists without helmets topped the list of
violators at 1,594 followed by red light jumping (922),
drunken driving (445), triple riding (444), dangerous driving
(222) and over speeding (162).
Another 1,551 were challaned for various offences like
speaking on mobile phones while driving and overtaking from
the wrong side.
Hoax calls also kept Delhi Police on its toes on Holi
with its control room receiving around 250 calls ranging from
bogus information of double murder to firing during the day.
Between 8 am and 8 pm yesterday, a senior police official
said, the Police Control Room (PCR) received 238 bogus calls
during Holi celebrations. During the day, the PCR received a
total of 6,100 calls.
One of the calls received from west Delhi`s Uttam Nagar
talked about a double murder, saying two brothers were killed
during a scuffle between two groups of youths, the official
said. However, it turned out to be a hoax call.
Another call was received from Sultanpuri about an
incident of firing following a fight between two neighbours.
When police rushed to the spot, they found there was no firing
but only a minor scuffle, the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark