150 night shelters functional in Delhi: Arvinder Singh Lovely
New Delhi: Amid concerns over the plight of homeless people in harsh winter, Delhi government today said it has made functional 150 night shelters for the city`s pavement dwellers.
Urban Development Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said currently the city has 84 temporary shelters and 66 permanent shelters for the homeless people which can accommodate around 13,600 pavement dwellers.
The Minister said eight teams, comprising experts and senior officials, have been constituted to inspect the functioning of night shelters and they have been told to file their reports within three days.
As per estimate, Delhi has around 60,000 homeless people.
The decision to set up the teams was taken at a meeting Lovely held with senior officials of Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB) which manages the night shelters.
He said the government has also decided to construct 26 "model night shelters" with green building technology across the city at a cost of Rs 6 crore.
"At least two night shelters will be built in every revenue district so that more homeless people can be accommodated."
Lovely said government has provided blankets, jute mattress, water supply and first aid boxes in the night shelters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- See what can Maggi do to your health!
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- Video of cops dancing with woman goes viral, inquiry ordered
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened