150 night shelters functional in Delhi: Arvinder Singh Lovely
New Delhi: Amid concerns over the plight of homeless people in harsh winter, Delhi government today said it has made functional 150 night shelters for the city`s pavement dwellers.
Urban Development Minister Arvinder Singh Lovely said currently the city has 84 temporary shelters and 66 permanent shelters for the homeless people which can accommodate around 13,600 pavement dwellers.
The Minister said eight teams, comprising experts and senior officials, have been constituted to inspect the functioning of night shelters and they have been told to file their reports within three days.
As per estimate, Delhi has around 60,000 homeless people.
The decision to set up the teams was taken at a meeting Lovely held with senior officials of Delhi Urban Shelter Improvement Board (DUSIB) which manages the night shelters.
He said the government has also decided to construct 26 "model night shelters" with green building technology across the city at a cost of Rs 6 crore.
"At least two night shelters will be built in every revenue district so that more homeless people can be accommodated."
Lovely said government has provided blankets, jute mattress, water supply and first aid boxes in the night shelters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA : When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism?
- Drunk girl assaults Mumbai police in Worli
- Arun Jaitley upset with Subramaniam Swami's Twitter attack
- Bombay HC to pronounce verdict on entry of woman to Haji Ali Dargah today
- DNA: When will Indian govt take strong actions against terrorism? - Part II
- Osborne rules himself out of race to succeed PM Cameron: Report
- 'Subramanian Swamy will dent Modi's image, spook foreign investors'
- Hafiz Saeed's son-in-law masterminded terror attack on CRPF convoy in Pampore: Report
- Lionel Messi retirement: Argentine president, Diego Maradona ask him not to quit
- Global stocks extend losses, sterling near 30-year lows in Brexit aftermath