19 pistols, 24 cartridges recovered; 2 held in Delhi
New Delhi: Two men were arrested and 19 pistols and 24 live cartridges recovered from them by police which claimed on Tuesday to have busted a gang which `home delivered` illegal firearms after taking the order on phone and getting the payment deposited in their accounts.
Manoj Kumar, alias Pappu, a resident of Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, and Gajanand from Singun village of Khargone, Madhya Pradesh, were arrested by the Crime Branch recently after it received a tip-off that a gang based in Aligarh and Madhya Pradesh is indulging in supply of illegal arms and ammunition in Delhi and NCR after they are manufactured in Khargone.
"On November 1, a tip-off was received that Manoj Kumar would come near Big Bazar, Vasant Kunj, Mehruali Main Road, to deliver a consignment of illegal arms and ammunition to one of his contacts.
"Accordingly, a trap was laid and at about 1.40 pm, Kumar came there in a car and he was apprehended and 12 pistols and 24 live cartridges were recovered from his possession," said Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ravindra Yadav.
During interrogation, Kumar reportedly told police that he had already placed another order for further delivery of illegal weapons to a supplier identified as one "Fauzi" and the consignment was to be delivered on November 11 at Sarai Kale Khan Bus Stand, police said.
Accordingly a trap was laid and Gajanand, who had come to deliver the consignment of illegal weapons to Kumar, was also apprehended and 7 pistols of .32 bore were recovered from his possession. Gajanand is a tribal and in earlier instances also tribals were used as courier by the gang, said Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Bird flu grips nation, Delhi worst affected
- I pay my tribute to martyr Naresh Pal: PM Narendra Modi
- Some people are creating confusion between me and my father: Akhilesh Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes to SP workers after Akhilesh Yadav suspends Shivpal Yadav
- Ramgopal Yadav writes letter to SP party workers after Akhilesh Yadav sacked Shivpal Yadav
- India vs New Zealand, 3rd ODI: As it happened...
- This is why Cyrus Mistry was removed as Chairman of Tata Sons!
- Prompt action on border pushes Pak to offer olive branch, says both sides need to 'formalise' 2003 ceasefire
- 7th Pay Commission: Committee on Allowances proposes hike in HRA for central govt employees
- Read letters by Ratan Tata to PM Narendra Modi and Group employees after Cyrus Mistry's ouster