19 pistols, 24 cartridges recovered; 2 held in Delhi
New Delhi: Two men were arrested and 19 pistols and 24 live cartridges recovered from them by police which claimed on Tuesday to have busted a gang which `home delivered` illegal firearms after taking the order on phone and getting the payment deposited in their accounts.
Manoj Kumar, alias Pappu, a resident of Aligarh, Uttar Pradesh, and Gajanand from Singun village of Khargone, Madhya Pradesh, were arrested by the Crime Branch recently after it received a tip-off that a gang based in Aligarh and Madhya Pradesh is indulging in supply of illegal arms and ammunition in Delhi and NCR after they are manufactured in Khargone.
"On November 1, a tip-off was received that Manoj Kumar would come near Big Bazar, Vasant Kunj, Mehruali Main Road, to deliver a consignment of illegal arms and ammunition to one of his contacts.
"Accordingly, a trap was laid and at about 1.40 pm, Kumar came there in a car and he was apprehended and 12 pistols and 24 live cartridges were recovered from his possession," said Additional Commissioner of Police (Crime) Ravindra Yadav.
During interrogation, Kumar reportedly told police that he had already placed another order for further delivery of illegal weapons to a supplier identified as one "Fauzi" and the consignment was to be delivered on November 11 at Sarai Kale Khan Bus Stand, police said.
Accordingly a trap was laid and Gajanand, who had come to deliver the consignment of illegal weapons to Kumar, was also apprehended and 7 pistols of .32 bore were recovered from his possession. Gajanand is a tribal and in earlier instances also tribals were used as courier by the gang, said Yadav.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Indrani Mukerjea's statement on suspected drug overdose recorded
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka