1984 anti-Sikh riots: Delhi govt recommends to Lt Governor for SIT prob
New Delhi: Delhi Government on Thursday recommended to Lt Governor for setting up a Special Investigation Team (SIT) to probe the 1984 anti-Sikh riots with a time frame of one year to submit its report.
The modalities of the SIT probe were approved in today`s cabinet meeting.
"The Cabinet decided that for investigation in the 1984 riots cases, the government will recommend to Lt Governor Najeeb Jung the formation of a SIT. Under the SIT probe, all those cases which were closed or shown untraced would be re-opened, re-investigated and if need arises would also file fresh FIRs," Education and PWD Minister Manish Sisodia told reporters after the cabinet meeting.
"In those cases where investigations have been completed, charge sheets would be filed," he said.
Sisodia said that police officers from outside Delhi would be given the responsibility to conduct the inquiry.
"Delhi police have been kept out of SIT as many questions have been raised about their role in the case, he added.
Elaborating on the terms of reference of SIT, Sisodia said besides reopening of FIRs, it would also enquire into allegations of destruction of evidence by police.
"The 1984 anti-Sikh riot is a black spot in the history of Delhi. According to official records, 2,733 people were killed in the riots. As many as 587 FIRs were filed, out of which 241 were either closed or no action was taken.
"The Nanavati commission opened four cases, but nothing significant happened so far. Many commissions raised question over the role of police, saying they tampered with the evidences," said Sisodia.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Lord Hanuman's idols are fully smeared with sindoor – Here's why
- These car companies are offering purchase discount of upto Rs 1 lakh
- Actor-turned-politician Roopa Ganguly injured in 'Trinamool' attack
- Captured: Witness 70 tiger sharks ripping apart a dead whale! - Watch video
- Indian Premier League 2016, Match 56: Delhi Daredevils vs Royal Challengers Bangalore — As it happened...