1984 riots: Court reserves order on plea for further CBI probe
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday reserved its order for April 10 on a plea filed by a 1984 anti-Sikh riots victim seeking further probe by the CBI in a case of killing of three persons in which Congress leader Jagdish Tytler has been given a clean chit by the agency.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) Anuradha Shukla Bhardwaj reserved the order after hearing the final arguments of the CBI and the victim.
"Arguments concluded. Fix it for order on April 10," the court said.
During the arguments, CBI prosecutor Sanjay Kumar sought dismissal of the plea filed by the victim saying the probe has made it clear that Tytler was not present on November 1, 1984 at Gurudwara Pulbangash in North Delhi where three people were killed during the riots.
The prosecutor said at the time of the incident, Tytler was at Teen Murti Bhawan, the residence of the then late Prime Minister Indira Gandhi.
"The CBI has already re-investigated the case on the order of trial court but there was no sufficient evidence against Tytler," the prosecutor said.
Senior advocate H S Phoolka, appearing for petitioner Lakhwinder Kaur, countered CBI`s submissions saying there was material which the agency has ignored and evidence was also there before the trial court, which had accepted the closure report giving a clean chit to the Congress leader in the case.
"CBI had time to examine Tytler`s driver, who had deposed in his favour, but they had no time to record the statement of the witnesses who had seen Tytler at the spot of incident. Are they (CBI) investigating on the command of Tytler?" he said.
CBI had given a clean chit to Tytler on April 2, 2009 claiming lack of evidence against him in the case pertaining to the murder of three persons on November 1, 1984, in the aftermath of the assassination of Indira Gandhi.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: BJP's tally rises to 82 after Atul Shah wins in lottery, Shiv Sena bags 84; CM Fadnavis hails PM Modi's clean governance
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena leads in Mumbai but BJP the big winner
- Solapur Municipal Corporation Elections 2017: Shiv Sena wins, BJP runners-up
- Thane Municipal Corporation Elections 2017 Results LIVE: Shiv Sena set for clear majority, leading in 51 seats, BJP in 17