1984 riots: Order on Sajjan Kumar’s plea reserved
New Delhi: The Delhi High Court on Friday reserved its order on a plea of senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar against a trial court order framing charges against him in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case related to the killings of six persons.
"The order is reserved," Justice Suresh Kait said after senior advocate H S Phoolka, counsel for complainant Sheela Kaur, concluded the arguments opposing Kumar`s plea for dropping charges against him.
Besides the Congress leader, co-accused Ved Prakash Pial alias Vedu Pradhan and Brahmanand Gupta had also moved the high court against framing of charges against them in the case.
Complainant Sheela Kaur had filed a cross-appeal in the high court seeking to invoke the charges of criminal conspiracy against Kumar and other four accused in the case.
Justice Kait reserved verdicts on others` pleas also.
During hearing, Phoolka cited an apex court judgement to seek protection for the complainant and other witnesses saying they are poor while the accused are "very powerful".
Earlier in July 2010, a lower court had framed charges against Kumar, Brahmanand Gupta, Peru, Khushal Singh and Ved Prakash in connection with the case in which six persons were killed in Sultanpuri in anti-Sikhs riots that erupted in Delhi and elsewhere after the assassination of then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi on October 31, 1984.
Besides charges of murder and rioting, the court had also framed charges for the offence of spreading enmity between two communities against various accused in the case.
The CBI had filed two charge sheets against Kumar and others on January 13 in the riots cases registered in 2005 on the recommendation of the Justice G T Nanavati commission which probed the sequence of events leading to the riots.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Olympic bronze medallist Sakshi Malik returns home from Rio to grand welcome!
- Rahul Gandhi takes U-turn, says never blamed RSS for Gandhi's assassination
- Secret documents on Indian Navy's Scorpene-class submarine leaked
- PM Modi's photos, Indian flags raised during massive protests in Balochistan
- Did India become victim of Scorpene submarine conspiracy?
- Song alert! 'Besabriyaan' from Sushant Singh Rajput's 'M.S. Dhoni: The Untold Story' OUT—Watch
- Thai junta rules out link between latest bombings and earlier deadly attacks
- 'Befikre' Ranveer Singh and Vaani Kapoor's latest STILL will make you standstill!
- Mars had climate suitable for life four billion years ago
- Wedding SONG of the year 'Nachde Ne Saare' has Katrina Kaif-Sidharth Malhotra dance to glory! Watch