1984 riots: SC dismisses Sajjan Kumar `s plea
New Delhi: The Supreme Court on Monday rejected a petition filed by senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar challenging initiation of criminal proceedings against him in connection with the 1984 anti-Sikh riots cases.
A Supreme Court bench comprising Justices P Sathasivam and A R Dave also directed the trial court to complete hearing in the case as soon as possible.
The apex court bench had reserved its judgement on September 13 on the appeal filed by Kumar against the Delhi High Court decision.
Kumar has two cases registered against him, one of which, a case involving the death of five persons in the Delhi Cantonment area.
The Delhi High Court had on July 19 dismissed Kumar’s petition challenging a trial court’s order to frame charges against him in the case.
In the order, Justice Vipin Sanghi questioned the motive of the Delhi Police in cancelling the First Information Report against Kumar when the CBI was still probing the matter.
Justice Sanghi directed the trial court to hold the proceedings against him expeditiously in the anti-Sikh riots cases.
The trial court had in May this year framed charges under Sections 302 (murder), 395 (dacoity), 427 (mischief to property), 153A (promoting enmity between different communities) and other provisions of the IPC paving the way for trial of Kumar and five others.
The Supreme Court had on March 29 granted relief to him, saying it would not intervene with a Delhi High Court order that granted bail to Kumar in the case.
The Delhi High Court had on February 26 granted bail to Sajjan Kumar in connection with two cases registered against him in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots case.
The Karkardooma Court had on February 23 issued a fresh non-bailable warrant against Kumar and slammed the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) for its failure to arrest Kumar and others accused in the case.
Earlier, the court had issued two non-bailable warrants against Kumar, who had surrendered before the court on March 10.
(With ANI inputs)
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof