1984 riots: Sikhs protest against Sajjan Kumar’s acquittal
Zee Media Bureau
New Delhi: Outraged at the acquittal of Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in one of the cases of anti-Sikh riots, a number of people on Wednesday staged protest in the capital blocking traffic.
Shouting slogans and carrying placards like `Hang 1984 Culprits` and `Give us Justice`, the protesters marched to Tilak Nagar Police Station in west Delhi and blocked traffic in the area.
Scores of protesters stormed a Metro station in west Delhi and blocked services for sometime a day after Delhi District Court acquitted the Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in one of the anti-Sikh riots cases.
The protesters entered Subhash Nagar Metro Station at around 12:45 pm and sat on tracks. They blocked the services for sometimes.
They were removed from the spot by the police.
Following the incident, Delhi Metro closed the stations at Tilak Nagar and Subhash Nagar, where there is considerable population of Sikhs, for the public.
"After 30 years we are yet to get justice. Government should feel ashamed. We will never forget and forgive who allowed culprits get scot free. We want justice," one of the protesters said.
Kumar, a former Congress MP, was acquitted by a court here yesterday in one of the cases of 1984 anti-Sikh riots.
Yesterday, a large number of people had gathered at the court complex and one of them had even thrown a shoe at the judge after the pronouncement of the verdict.
Sikh groups in Jammu also held protests over the acquittal of Kumar and blocked the Jammu-Kashmir Highway.
Activists of several Sikh organisations led by Harjeet Singh sat on a dharna and took out demonstrations at Digiana on the outskirts of the city.
Raising anti-government slogans, the protesters termed the acquittal of the Congress leader as an "injustice" to the Sikh community in the country.
“Injustice has been done with us. The judgement has shown that Sikhs are second class citizens of the country", Singh told reporters here.
"3000 Sikhs were killed on the roads of Delhi-they were brutally murdered-their houses were burnt down," he said, adding the judgement has shocked the entire Sikh community, who were hoping for justice.
"We will fight back. We want justice. We don`t have any faith in the Congress government", he said.
In Talab Tiloo area of Jammu, a group of Sikh youth held demonstrations against the acquittal of Kumar.
"Hearts of all Sikhs are weeping over the judgement," Charanjeet Singh, a protester, said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- rajresults.nic.in RBSE Rajasthan Board BSER Class 12th Science and Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared shortly