1994 triple murder: Court asks Punjab DGP to be present
New Delhi: A Delhi court has ordered Punjab DGP Sumedh Singh Saini, an accused in 1994 triple murder case, to appear before it during the cross-examination of a person who has been pursuing criminal case against the senior IPS officer.
Ashish Kumar, a Punjab resident, had filed a complaint alleging he and other witnesses are being intimidated at the behest of the senior police officer.
Special CBI judge Anoop Kumar Mendiratta withdrew the exemption granted to Saini from personal appearance in the case and directed that he attends the cross-examination of complainant Ashish Kumar, a relative of the victims.
Kumar had in an application told the court about the witnesses being harassed and intimidated at the behest of the accused persons.
"Considering the serious allegations made in the application, accused S S Saini is also directed to appear during cross examination of aforesaid witness (PW3) and his exemption is withdrawn for the aforesaid dates till further orders," the court said.
At this, Saini`s counsel expressed concern for his security.
The court then directed the Commissioner of Delhi Police to make necessary security arrangements on the dates of the trial.
Noting the allegations of threats to witnesses and the delay in trial being caused by Saini, the court said "it is a matter of great concern as serious allegations of pressurizing of witnesses have been made in the application."
The case pertains to alleged involvement of Saini, the then SSP of Ludhiana, in the kidnapping and murder of three persons Vinod Kumar, Ashok Kumar and their driver Mukhtiar Singh in 1994 in Ludhiana.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee?
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part II
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part III
- Did history fail to serve justice to Dr Shyama Prasad Mukherjee? - Part IV
- Are central govt employees justified in demanding salary hike?
- Germany desperate to rewrite history against Italy in Euro 2016 quarter-final
- Playing with lives of soldiers? Jawans in Siachen may have been given substandard snow suits to fight -60 deg C
- Euro 2016: Spain veteran Iker Casillas hints at retirement after team's defeat against Italy
- Jailed ex-MP Shahabuddin shifted to AIIMS
- Facebook to give more prominence to family and friends, not media