1996 scam: Sheila Kaul exempted from appearance
New Delhi: Ninety eight-year-old former Union Minister Shiela Kaul was today exempted again from appearing personally before a special CBI court for framing of charges for her trial in a 1996 government accommodation allotment scam.
Special CBI Judge Pradeep Chaddah exempted Kaul from personal appearance for the day after her counsel submitted that she has moved the Delhi High Court against the court`s order for her personal appearance for framing of charges.
An accused has to be personally present in the trial court during the proceedings in his or her case, specially on occasions like framing of charges.
Referring to the court`s earlier order that Kaul will have to come to the court as there is no immunity for aged people under law, Kaul`s counsel said the high court "might just make some law."
The court then adjourned the matter till disposal of the petition before the high court.
"I allow the application moved and exempt the presence of Sheila Kaul for today. Let file to come up for framing of charges on July 16. Depending upon the order of the high court, accused Sheila Kaul shall be appearing in person," the court said.
The court had on May 9 asked Kaul to appear before it to answer the charges framed against her while denying her further relief from personal appearance on ground of old age.
"Unfortunately for her, law does not prescribe any immunity for aged people. She might be quite old but there is no way out," the court had said.=
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Defence Minister Manohar Parrikar stands in a queue at Pune wedding!
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Will ask SC if India can pursue Captain Saurabh Kalia case against Pakistan in ICJ: Sushma Swaraj
- Salman, Aamir, Shah Rukh in a film together?
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi