200 bulletproof `morchas` to secure Delhi Metro stations
New Delhi: Security of the Delhi Metro is being made bulletproof as 200 new shot resistant `morchas` (fortified boxes) will be placed for CISF troops at the entry points of the stations.
The portable green coloured `morchas` will house one armed security personnel who could counter any firing coming from outside while keeping himself safe.
The Central Industrial Security Force (CISF), which secures the Delhi Metro network against any terror and attack like threat, has placed six such defence infrastructure at three prominent stations, in the preliminary stage.
While four bulletproof `morchas` have been stationed at the Rajiv Chowk Metro station, one each has been placed at the Malviya Nagar and Saket Metro station.
Two hundred such `morchas` will be placed in all the 134 Metro stations that the paramilitary guards in Delhi and the national capital region. Big stations with multiple entries will have more than one such fortified defence.
"The `morchas` give our personnel better protection and strategic edge to manoeuvre himself during an attack or emergency," CISF spokesperson Hemendra Singh said.
The new defence gadget is stationed on wheels which makes it movable while protecting the security personnel and also has proper slots for the trooper to position his or her INSAS rifle, directed towards the entry.
The `morchas` have been procured by the Delhi Metro Rail Corporation (DMRC) on the requirement made by the CISF after a security analysis favoured such an arrangement, security sources said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand
- China's NSG stand is neither fair nor transparent, says Defence Expert
- Serial child rapist arrested in Delhi, says 'preyed on girls for sexual satisfaction, enjoyed it'