200 inmates may work outside Tihar during day
New Delhi: Around 200 Tihar jail inmates have been shortlisted to work outside the prison campus during day time, said an official Thursday.
The facility, also known as semi-open jail, would allow convicts to develop job skills.
"A proposal was sent to the government for allowing inmates to work outside the jail during the day so that they could easily get jobs after serving their sentence," a jail official, who did not want to be named, told IANS.
The concept of semi-open jail was adopted a year ago but due to stringent provisions only two inmates availed it. Now the conditions have been relaxed and prisoners who have served a sentence of 5-12 years may benefit from it, the official said.
Tihar has 17,000 inmates out of whom 200 convicts would be eligible to avail the facility, the official said.
The inmates would be encouraged to work at sites of public works department and in other technical fields. They would be paid for the work, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indrani 'slow-poisoned' Sheena, wanted to portray Mikhail as 'mentally unstable'?
- 'Mann ki Baat': Will implement 13 new pointers to Land Bill from today itself, says PM Modi
- People have no faith left in Modi government: Sonia Gandhi at Swabhiman rally
- Will not allow any political party to join agitation: Hardik Patel
- Lashkar-e-Toiba plotting 26/11-style attack in India with the help of Pak Navy, ISI?
- Satire website publishes article on Osama bin Laden being alive and quotes Edward Snowden
- Indrani's former brother-in-law claims Sheena was Siddharth Das' daughter
- Sheena murder: Suitcase seized from Indrani, Peter's residence meant for disposing Mikhail's body?
- Sheena Bora murder case: 'Indrani Mukerjea's father thrashed her with belt'
- Five simple tips to eat healthy!