200 inmates may work outside Tihar during day
New Delhi: Around 200 Tihar jail inmates have been shortlisted to work outside the prison campus during day time, said an official Thursday.
The facility, also known as semi-open jail, would allow convicts to develop job skills.
"A proposal was sent to the government for allowing inmates to work outside the jail during the day so that they could easily get jobs after serving their sentence," a jail official, who did not want to be named, told IANS.
The concept of semi-open jail was adopted a year ago but due to stringent provisions only two inmates availed it. Now the conditions have been relaxed and prisoners who have served a sentence of 5-12 years may benefit from it, the official said.
Tihar has 17,000 inmates out of whom 200 convicts would be eligible to avail the facility, the official said.
The inmates would be encouraged to work at sites of public works department and in other technical fields. They would be paid for the work, he said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Turkey has the right to defend its airspace, says Obama
- J&K: Terrorists attack Army camp at Tangdhar near LoC
- Proud to be an Indian, no plans to leave the country, says Aamir Khan
- Rahul Gandhi's embarrassment in front of Bengaluru college students
- Panel discussion on Aamir Khan's ignorance on Kashmiri Pandits
- Intolerance issue: Proud to be Indian, won't leave country, says Aamir Khan
- Watch: Chicago cop shoots a 17-year-old black man 16 times
- Army camp attacked in J&K's Kupwara; three JeM terrorists, one civilian killed
- WATCH: Rahul Gandhi asks 'Is Swachh Bharat working', Mount Carmel girls yell 'Yessss'
- Aamir Khan's 12-day mystery: From lauding Modi's 'positive India' to dubbing India as 'intolerant'