2008 blasts: LG OSD deposes as prosecution witness
New Delhi: An officer on special duty (OSD) with the city`s Lieutenant Governor (LG) today told a Delhi court trying the 2008 serial blast case that as Deputy Secretary (Home), he had granted sanction to prosecute the accused "after due application of the mind."
While deposing as a prosecution witness, LG`s OSD
Vishwendra told Additional Sessions Judge Narinder Kumar that
it was not correct to say he gave the sanction without
application of mind.
Vishwendra was posted as Deputy Secretary (Home) from
March 2009 to August 16, 2011.
He said that "on June 5, 2009, the file pertaining to the
grant of sanction under Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act
came to his office.
"I perused the record and issued sanction for prosecution
of Mansoor Ashgar Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar Sheikh, Asif
Bashiruddin" and the sanction was communicated to various
He said similar sanction was granted for prosecution of
Shahzad Ahmed, Salman and others.
Vishwendra said material which was taken into
consideration for grant of sanction included documents made
available by the Delhi Police.
A series of blasts had rocked the national capital on
September 13, 2008, killing 26 people and injuring 135 others.
The case involves 13 accused Mohd Saif, Zeeshan Ahmad,
Zia-ur-Rehman, Saquib Nisar, Mohd Shakeel, Kayamuddin Kapadia,
Mohammed Sadique, Mohammed Hakim, Mohammed Mansoor Ashgar
Peerbhoy, Mubin Kadar Sheikh, Asif Bashiruddin, Mohammed Akbar
Ismail Chaudhary and Shahzad Ahmed.
The trial of the case is being conducted via video-
conferencing as 11 of the 13 accused are lodged in Sabarmati
jail in Gujarat while two are lodged here in Tihar Jail.
All the accused are facing trial under various sections
of the Indian Penal Code, including those for waging war
against the government of India, criminal conspiracy and
murder and under the Explosive Substances Act and the Unlawful
Activities (Prevention) Act.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow