2010 Jama Masjid attack: Police get 10 days to conclude probe
New Delhi: A court here on Wednesday allowed the plea of Delhi Police seeking 10 days time to complete their probe against Indian Mujahideen (IM) co-founder Yasin Bhatkal and his aide Asadullah Akhtar in connection with the September 2010 Jama Masjid terror attack case.
"I have seen the application as well as considered the arguments advanced and my inference is that the application be allowed. Investigation agency is granted further 10 days time from tomorrow i.e. April 10 to conclude the investigation against both accused," Additional Sessions Judge Daya Prakash said.
The order came on a plea filed by Special Cell of Delhi Police in which it sought 10 days time to conclude the probe against Yasin and Akhtar, saying wanted accused Zia-ur-Rehman alias Waqas has been recently arrested and he was required to be interrogated to establish the "missing links".
"He (Waqas) has to be arrested in this case. With the arrest of this wanted terrorist, the missing links in the conspiracy are likely to be established which requires that period of investigation and judicial custody of these accused persons (Yasin and Akhtar) be extended," the police said.
It also said the reports of e-mails and ID chats used by Yasin and Akhtar have been sought from Yahoo and Nimbuzz and they were still awaited. It said forensic report of laptops and mobiles recovered from the accused was also awaited.
On September 19, 2010, two bikers had fired on tourists at the gate of Jama Masjid in Old Delhi area and two Taiwanese nationals-- Ku-Ze-Wei and Ko-Chiange -- had sustained bullet injuries. There was also a mild explosion of a bomb fitted in a car parked in the area.
Yasin and Akhtar are presently in Maharashtra after the Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS) Mumbai had taken their custody in connection with the cases lodged against them there.
They both were wanted for their alleged roles in a string of terror attacks across the country.
Yasin and Akhtar were arrested by National Investigation Agency from Indo-Nepal border on the night of August 28, last year.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- SpaceX Falcon 9 rocket explodes minutes after Florida launch
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him