203 inmates have died in observation home: Delhi govt
New Delhi: As many as 203 inmates have
died in the last five years at an observation home run by the
NCT government for the mentally challenged.
Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal informed
the Assembly today that out of the total deaths at Asha Kiran
observation home, 107 were male and 96 were female inmates.
A spate of deaths was reported at the observation home
in the last few months, prompting the government to announce a
time-bound action plan to ensure proper care and medical
facilities for the inmates.
The home is being run by the Social Welfare
As per the action plan, some of the over 700 inmates
at the Asha Kiran Home would be transferred to three buildings
within next two months to decongest the existing home so that
each mentally challenged inmate gets proper care.
The government also decided to deploy well-equipped
ambulances and upgrade other infrastructure at the home which
witnessed 26 deaths in the last five months.
The minister said that currently a total of 742
inmates were staying in the home against the sanctioned
strength of 350 inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- BSF catches cow slaughter gang near India-Bangladesh border in Malda
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...