203 inmates have died in observation home: Delhi govt
New Delhi: As many as 203 inmates have
died in the last five years at an observation home run by the
NCT government for the mentally challenged.
Social Welfare Minister Mangat Ram Singhal informed
the Assembly today that out of the total deaths at Asha Kiran
observation home, 107 were male and 96 were female inmates.
A spate of deaths was reported at the observation home
in the last few months, prompting the government to announce a
time-bound action plan to ensure proper care and medical
facilities for the inmates.
The home is being run by the Social Welfare
As per the action plan, some of the over 700 inmates
at the Asha Kiran Home would be transferred to three buildings
within next two months to decongest the existing home so that
each mentally challenged inmate gets proper care.
The government also decided to deploy well-equipped
ambulances and upgrade other infrastructure at the home which
witnessed 26 deaths in the last five months.
The minister said that currently a total of 742
inmates were staying in the home against the sanctioned
strength of 350 inmates.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Security guard beats woman journalist publicly in Pakistan
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; 7 Pak Rangers killed, BSF jawan injured
- ISIS terrorists escape Mosul disguised in women's clothing
- DNA: Analysing the existing poor condition of Indian education system
- DNA: Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K's Hiranagar; Seven Pak Rangers killed
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- MS Dhoni or Virat Kohli? Here's Virender Sehwag's best ever reply
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you