23,800 prosecuted for drunken driving in Delhi
New Delhi: An all-time high prosecution figure for drunken driving reduced fatal road accidents in the city last year, the Delhi Police said on Friday.
According to Delhi Traffic Police annual report, 23,829 people were prosecuted for drunken driving last year against 18,073 in 2011.
"Action against drunken driving has helped reduce road fatalities," Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar told reporters.
A traffic official said 6,578 people were imprisoned last year for drunken driving while 986 licences was suspended.
Police also prosecuted 30,497 drivers for over-speeding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Yogi Adityanath's first speech as Uttar Pradesh CM in Gorakhpur
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- What Hindu saints think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Yogi Adityanath to visit Gorakhpur for first time today after becoming UP CM
- Bikaner: 13-year-old schoolgirl raped by eight teachers
- WATCH: Skipper Virat Kohli carries drinks for Team India
- Know how to link your PAN card with Aadhaar card – Here is the step by step explanation
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why
- Mohanlal's 'Manyam Puli' has a BREATHTAKING scene where TIGER attacks a boy! WATCH 'Pulimurugan' clip
- Yogi Adityanath meets gang-rape survivor, who was forced to drink acid, at Lucknow hospital; two arrested