23,800 prosecuted for drunken driving in Delhi
New Delhi: An all-time high prosecution figure for drunken driving reduced fatal road accidents in the city last year, the Delhi Police said on Friday.
According to Delhi Traffic Police annual report, 23,829 people were prosecuted for drunken driving last year against 18,073 in 2011.
"Action against drunken driving has helped reduce road fatalities," Police Commissioner Neeraj Kumar told reporters.
A traffic official said 6,578 people were imprisoned last year for drunken driving while 986 licences was suspended.
Police also prosecuted 30,497 drivers for over-speeding.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Ayodhya dispute: SC asks parties to solve matter amicably, offers mediation
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Sunil Grover responds to Kapil Sharma’s ‘sorry’ tweet, says ‘don’t act like a God’
- This fiery speech by Yogi Adityanath in Parliament on communal riots is setting internet on fire - MUST WATCH
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Team Yogi Adityanath: List of Yogi's ministers with their portfolios - Check who got what