26-yr-old held for robbing foreign tourists
New Delhi: A 26-year-old youth has been arrested here for allegedly robbing valuables from foreign nationals after drugging them, police said.
According to police, the accused, identified as Ayaz Ahmad Rahmani, was caught red-handed from Red Fort on Sunday as he was trying to escape after picking the purse of one Badri Prasad.
With his arrest, police claimed to have solved six cases involving theft of valuables from foreign nationals.
"On December 20, one Japanese tourist at Red Fort was befriended by a person posing as a photographer.
"She then accompanied him to Daryaganj where he offered her pizza and coffee. But upon consuming the same, she felt drowsy and later found that her bag containing 20,000 Japanese Yen, Rs 1,000 INR, camera lenses, charger, a diary, credit card and other valuables was missing," a senior police official said.
On the basis of descriptions provided by the victim, all vendors, guides, etc. Catering to foreign tourists at Red Fort were verified.
On Sunday, one person, later identified as Rahmani, was apprehended from Red Fort while trying to escape, the official said.
During a search, 16 tablets of Zoliflex 10mg were recovered from his possession. He then disclosed that he mixed these tablets in coffee/soft drinks and offered the same to foreign tourists, especially Japanese, Korean and Chinese nationals, the official said.
"After the tourist gets drowsy and falls asleep, he decamps with their belongings. 20,000 Japanese Yen and Rs 1,000 were also found inside his purse which he said had been stolen from the Japanese tourist on December 20," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Narendra Modi's speech at Heart of Asia conference
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Like SAARC, should India boycott Pak in Heart of Asia conference?
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Iraqi army inches close to Baghdadi in Mosul- Report
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video
- Gujarat man who disclosed Rs 14,000 crore unaccounted wealth goes missing
- RBI to issue new Rs 20, Rs 50 notes; old notes to remain legal tender
- Rahul Dravid heaps praise on Virat Kohli, R Ashwin; calls duo modern cricket legends