2G: DoT officials not told about distribution of LoIs prior
New Delhi: A Delhi Court was on Wednesday told that the DoT officials, called for a meeting in the committee room of Sanchar Bhawan on January 10, 2008, were not aware that they had gathered there to distribute the Letter of Intents for 2G spectrum allocation to telecom firms.
Ashok Kumar Dhar, a retired official of the Department of Telecom (DoT), testified to the court of Special Judge O P (rpt O P) Saini that they were not briefed in advance about the process of distribution of LoIs and A K Srivastava, the then deputy director general, was the senior most officer and the over all in-charge for the purpose.
Dhar, who deposed as CBI witness in the case said on the day when LoIs were distributed, he along with other three DoT officials was called by his senior in the committee room of Sanchar Bhawan and was told that they have to give the LoIs to the representatives of the telecom firms.
"Once all of us (DoT officials and telecom companies` representatives) assembled in the committee room, we were told the purpose of assembling in the committee room, that is, distribution of LOIs," Dhar told the court.
Dhar, who was made to sit on the second counter to distribute the LoIs, said nobody had asked him to favour or disfavour anybody.
His deposition assumes importance as the CBI in its first charge sheet filed on April 2, 2011 had said that the "ill conceived" design of establishing four counters to distribute LoIs to companies made a "mockery" of First-Come-First-Served (FCFS) policy.
"This desperate race to the reception area led to a lot chaos which also resulted in a situation that physical fitness of the representatives became the main deciding factor for the priority in submission of compliance of LoIs and entry fee etc making a mockery of the FCFS policy," it had said in the charge sheet.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?
- Met Dawood Ibrahim in London, he wanted to return to India: Ram Jethmalani