2nd phase of enrolment for Adhaar number to begin next week
New Delhi: The second phase of enrolment for Adhaar number in the city will kickstart next week in which biometric details of the remaining 38 lakh people will be taken.
Officials said over 1.30 crore citizens in Delhi have already been registered for issuance of Adhaar or UID numbers out of a total population of 1.68 crore.
Collection of biometric details of citizens for Adhaar numbers were discontinued in February this year following differences between Union Home Ministry and Unique Identification Authority headed by Nandan Nilekani over collection of biometric details of people.
"The second phase of collection of biometric details for issuance of Adhaar numbers will begin next week," Divisional Commissioner Vijay Dev said.
Dev said, unlike in the first phase, people applying for UID numbers will have to submit certain documents like Voter Identity Card as proof of residence. The documents will have to be verified by government officials or retired government officials.
He said people already enrolled under Adhaar scheme will not be required to give biometric details for the National Population Registration programme as the data will be taken from the UIDAI authority.
Last month Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit had asked Nilekani to expedite the process of enrolment for Adhaar numbers in the city.
Five private agencies were hired last year to collect bio-metric data and registration of citizens for issuance of Adhaar numbers in Delhi.
Adhaar is a 12-digit number which the Unique Identification Authority of India (UIDAI) is issuing for all residents in the country.
The UIDAI is storing basic demographic and biometric information - photograph, ten fingerprints and eye scan - of each individual, being issued the number, in a central database.
The Delhi government plans to use the Adhaar database to identify actual beneficiaries for various schemes and plug the loopholes in the PDS as well as in implementing some other schemes.
Officials said thousands of residents have not received adhaar numbers months after enrolment for the same.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army 5th deadliest in the world: Report
- DNA: Analysis of public pulse through survey by Zee News on Bihar elections
- Hotels selling beef should be demolished: Azam Khan
- DNA: End of ISIS? Vladimir Putin to send 1,50,000 soldiers to Syria
- Dadri lynching: UP CM Akhilesh raises compensation to Rs 45 lakh
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Neither Dadri nor Babri: India is 'Muslim woman delivering 'Ganesha' inside temple'
- Hindu girl embraces Islam to marry Shahi Imam Bukhari's son?
- Pakistan take note! Indian military 5th deadliest in the world
- Lalu Prasad Yadav debuts on Dubsmash, mocks PM Narendra Modi – Watch video