3 dead in train mishap at Old Delhi Railway station
New Delhi: Three persons were killed at the Old Delhi Railway station when a wagon of an empty goods train derailed and rammed into a boundary wall, prompting the railways to order an enquiry.
The incident occurred around midnight when the rear wagon of the goods train derailed after hitting a block at the dead end of the track at the station yard, a Northern Railway spokesperson said today.
A boundary wall, which collapsed under the impact of the derailed wagon, fell on the victims who were sleeping on the other side of the railway premises, the spokesperson said.
They were rushed to hospital but succumbed to their injuries. The deceased included a woman.
According to officials, the incident occurred around midnight when some parcel coaches were being shunted to the parcel yard. At this point, the rear coach hit a block at the dead end of the track at the yard and dragged it for some distance.
Train services, however, remained unaffected.
Three railway staff, including a loco pilot, who were engaged in the shunting duty, have been shunted and taken into police custody for investigation, the spokesperson said.
A junior administrative level enquiry has been ordered by the Divisional Railway Manager, Delhi Division.
The incident comes close on the heels of a similar mishap at the New Delhi railway station last week when the Kerala Express, which was being shunted to the yard, rammed into the incoming Paschim Express. No casualty was, however, reported though two compartments were damaged.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajinikanth's 'Kabali' releases early morning at 6 am in Mumbai!
- Jharkhand: Zee Media honors ten environmentalists with Green Warrior Award
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley?
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part II
- DNA: Why nationalist reporting trigger protest in Gurez valley? - Part III
- 'Madaari' movie review: Irrfan Khan displays brilliance in this thought provoking tale
- Thai cops question UK journalist`s wife over `royal insult`
- Pokemon Go debuts in the country where Pokemon was born!
- Nationwide frenzy as ‘Kabali’ Rajinikanth arrives in style
- This is what Zakir Naik thinks about Narendra Modi, Islamic State and jihad