3 youth convicted for stabbing a man, let off with fine
New Delhi: Showing leniency in view of their age, a Delhi court has imposed a fine of Rs 40,000 on three youth for stabbing a man here in 2009 instead of sending them to jail.
The court ordered North-East Delhi resident Amit, who assaulted the victim Subhash with a knife, to pay a fine of Rs 20,000, while his two associates Mangal Sain and Dinesh Kumar were told to cough up a fine of Rs 10,000 each.
Additional Sessions Judge (ASJ) J R Aryan convicted the three youths for the offence punishable under section 324 (causing hurt using dangerous weapon) of the Indian Penal Code which entails a maximum jail term of three years for inflicting knife wounds on victim Subhash on a petty issue.
The court, however, did not award jail term to them saying the fathers of two convicts have already expired and they do not have any previous involvement in any crime.
"Considering that the fathers of two accused persons have expired and accused persons appeared to be young boys and had been in jail for two months and had no previous involvement...Substantive sentence for offence may not serve the purpose but at the same time a fine which pinches the skin of the accused with default sentence will meet the ends of justice," the ASJ said.
The judge also ordered a compensation of Rs 20,000 to be paid to the victim from the fine imposed on the convicts.
According to the police, on November 18, 2009, Subhash`s
son, who was playing in a lane near his house, had entered into a quarrel with Amit after which Subhash asked Amit to behave.
Amit left the place but within minutes returned with the other two accused and beat up Subhash, police said, adding Amit had inflicted multiple knife wounds on the victim.
During the trial, the accused told the court that they had been falsely implicated in the case but the judge convicted them after going through the evidence brought before him.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian Army conducts surgical strikes across LoC: Watch DGMO Lt Gen Ranbir Singh's PC
- Indian Army targets terror camps across LoC; Pak PM Sharif condemns
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Indian Army surgical strike: Pak rejects claim, says 2 soldiers killed
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- What is surgical strike and how it is conducted - MUST KNOW for every Indian
- LIVE: Five nations pull out of SAARC Summit to express solidarity with India over Uri attack
- SALUTE! Brave Indian army commandos give befitting reply to Pak-sponsored terrorists
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof