30 yrs RI for man who raped, murdered daughter
New Delhi: A man who raped his four-year-old daughter and later murdered her was on Tuesday let off from the gallows by the Supreme Court which held that it was not a rarest of rare crime to warrant death penalty.
A bench of justices BS Chauhan and Ibrahim Kalifulla, however, said that Neel Kumar shall serve a minimum 30 years sentence for the heinous offence.
"We are of the considered opinion that the case does not fall within the rarest of rare cases.
"However, considering the nature of offence, age and relationship of the victim with the appellant and gravity of injuries caused to her, appellant cannot be awarded a lenient punishment.
"Thus, in the facts and circumstances of the case, we set aside the death sentence and award life imprisonment. The appellant must serve a minimum of 30 years in jail without remissions, before consideration of his case for premature release," Justice Chauhan writing the judgement said.
The apex court passed the judgement while dismissing the appeal filed by the convicting challenging the death sentence imposed by the sessions court, Yamuna Nagar, Haryana and affirmed by the State High Court.
Neel Kumar had committed the offence in 2007 when his wife went to her parents home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi addresses public meeting in Kozhikode
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US