30 yrs RI for man who raped, murdered daughter
New Delhi: A man who raped his four-year-old daughter and later murdered her was on Tuesday let off from the gallows by the Supreme Court which held that it was not a rarest of rare crime to warrant death penalty.
A bench of justices BS Chauhan and Ibrahim Kalifulla, however, said that Neel Kumar shall serve a minimum 30 years sentence for the heinous offence.
"We are of the considered opinion that the case does not fall within the rarest of rare cases.
"However, considering the nature of offence, age and relationship of the victim with the appellant and gravity of injuries caused to her, appellant cannot be awarded a lenient punishment.
"Thus, in the facts and circumstances of the case, we set aside the death sentence and award life imprisonment. The appellant must serve a minimum of 30 years in jail without remissions, before consideration of his case for premature release," Justice Chauhan writing the judgement said.
The apex court passed the judgement while dismissing the appeal filed by the convicting challenging the death sentence imposed by the sessions court, Yamuna Nagar, Haryana and affirmed by the State High Court.
Neel Kumar had committed the offence in 2007 when his wife went to her parents home.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Akhilesh Yadav overlooking Muslims as Mulayam Singh alleged?
- DNA: Why did Navjot Singh Sidhu call BJP 'Kaikeyi’, Congress ‘Kaushalya’?
- 38-year-old arrested for ‘raping’ minors in Delhi; assaulted over 600 girls
- My father wanted me to be a man of character: Navjot Singh Siddhu
- BJP announces 149 names in first list of candidates for UP elections
- Geeta Phogat comes to rescue of Zaira Wasim; hits out at trolls, asks actress not to apologise
- India vs England, 1st ODI: Ravichandran Aswhin steals the show with huge six — WATCH
- Petrol price hiked by 42 paisa per litre, diesel by Rs 1.03 a litre
- ‘Dangal’ star Zaira Wasim says I am not a role model, not proud of what I am doing
- Assembly Elections: BJP releases list of 149 candidates for Uttar Pradesh, 64 for Uttarakhand