This ad will auto close in 10 seconds

36 years later, man lands in police net for co-worker`s murder

Last Updated: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 21:19

New Delhi: At the age of 19, he
"committed" the murder of a co-worker but it took police a
long 36 years to catch him, now a daily wage painter with

Jogender Singh (55), hailing from Haryana`s Rewari,
was arrested from Delhi Cantonment railway station yesterday
on a tip off, V Renganathan, Deputy Commissioner of Police
(West), said.

He was declared a proclaimed offender in 1975 by a
Delhi court an year after he allegedly murdered his co-worker
Surjit, with whom he was not having good relations, in west
Delhi`s Uttam Nagar.

He allegedly threw the body in a well after the

"Surjit was having a number of wounds all over the
body and his intestine had come out which showed how brutally
he was murdered. Three eye-witnesses were traced and they made
their statements before the court," Renganathan said.

Renewed efforts were made recently to arrest Jogender
after instructions from police headquarters and a team was

Interestingly, Renganathan said, this was "oldest"
case and even the jurisdiction of the incident has changed
several times to different districts.

At the time of the incident, Uttam Nagar was in in
Central district and later went to south-west. In July 1981,
it came back to West District and was not worked out.

"It was a difficult case. We started the operation
afresh and visited Uttam Nagar several times, where the
incident took place. As the incident was 36 years old, almost
since then every thing had been changed.

"Accused had already sold out his house and absconded.
People had no clue about his whereabouts," Renganathan said.

During investigations, he said, a Head Constable
received an input that Jogender used to work as driver and
remained in South India. It also came to light that he was
working in "Prasar Bharti, Doordarshan at Khel Gaon" as a

"This proved a turning point in this case which led to
the arrest later," Renganathan said.

Jogender had left Uttam Nagar as well as from his
native village but he constructed a house in Rewari.

"Whenever police team visited there, he was not found
there. Up to 1988, he remained in South India and after 1988
he used to visit Delhi by train. Police team made lot of
efforts to trace him and made several visits at his home town
and in all his relations earlier but were unlucky,"
Renganathan said.


First Published: Friday, January 21, 2011 - 21:19

More from zeenews

comments powered by Disqus