4 convicted of breaking man`s leg released on probation
New Delhi: A bus driver, his wife and his two brothers-in-law, held guilty of breaking a man`s leg with a hammer, have been released on probation by a Delhi court.
Convicting North West Delhi resident Jainder Singh, his wife Madhu and brothers-in-laws Rakesh and Sakender of grievously injuring complainant Mahender Singh, Additional Sessions Judge Virender Kumar Goyal let them off on probation of good conduct on the ground that they were first-time offenders and had no criminal history.
"The four are not previous convicts nor habitual offenders. The offence... Being their first one, I think it appropriate after considering the facts and circumstances of the case with age, character and antecedents of all the convicts, that they should be given the benefit of probation of good conduct," the judge said.
According to the prosecution, the four accused had on the night of March 27, 2010 overpowered Mahender when he was returning home and had beaten him up near Amrit Vihar here.
It alleged that accused Madhu handed over the hammer to Sakender, who had attacked him with it while Rakesh and Jainder had held him down.
During the trial, Mahender submitted to the court his medical reports as per which he had suffered a fracture in his left leg.
The accused, on the other hand, told the court that the complainant and Jainder were consuming liquor on the night of the alleged incident and that Mahender had started abusing Madhu, when she came looking for her husband.
They deposed that Mahender had sustained the leg injury as he had fallen while running towards Madhu.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Delhi: Three-year-old twins die after falling into washing machine in Rohini
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'
- India vs Australia, 1st Test, Day 3: As it happened...