4 dead as oxygen machine malfunctions in Delhi
New Delhi: Four critically ill patients died in a city hospital on Tuesday allegedly due to malfunctioning of an oxygen supply machine, prompting the Delhi government to order a probe into the incident.
The incident happened at the Sushrut Trauma Centre in North Delhi this morning following which relatives of the victims staged a protest at the Delhi government-run hospital.
The deceased have been identified as Rajkumari, 35, Javed, 20 and Rehana, 36, while the fourth person, aged approximately 25 years, has not yet been identified.
Taking serious view of the lapse, Delhi Health Minister A K Walia ordered a probe into the incident.
Special Secretary in Health department S B Shashank will head the inquiry committee, which has been asked to file its report by Friday.
Senior physician of GTB hospital A K Sethi and Deepak Tempe, head of the Anaesthesia department in GB Pant hospital have been appointed members of the inquiry committee.
Officials said malfunctioning of the oxygen supply machine and network has been found to be primary reasons for the incident. A private entity from Punjabi Bagh area of the city, which set up the network few months back at the hospital, was maintaining the oxygen supply facility.
Expressing grief over the incident, Walia said all required steps will be taken to ensure that such incidents do not recur.
Walia said he will hold a meeting on Wednesday to review functioning of all Delhi government-run hospitals in the city.
Officials said Javed, a resident of Kashmeri Gate area, was admitted to the hospital with head injuries while Rajkumari from Swarup Nagar was admitted following food poisoning. Rehana, who had head injuries, had undergone a surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi: 8-year-old boy dies after falling into pothole
- Woman commits suicide in UP after posting message on social media
- Nirbhaya gang-rape convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail
- Rajnath Singh, Mehbooba Mufti hold joint press conference on Kashmir violence
- Will appoint nodal officer for Kashmiris: Rajnath Singh
- Attack on Kabul`s American University ends as attackers killed
- Colombia announces historic peace pact
- Aamir Khan's '3 Idiots' sequel on the cards? Here's what Rajkumar Hirani has to say!
- 'Nirbhaya' gang-rape: Convict Vinay Sharma attempts suicide in Tihar Jail, admitted to hospital
- Iranian Navy in `unsafe` intercept of US destroyer: Defense official