4 dead as oxygen machine malfunctions in Delhi
New Delhi: Four critically ill patients died in a city hospital on Tuesday allegedly due to malfunctioning of an oxygen supply machine, prompting the Delhi government to order a probe into the incident.
The incident happened at the Sushrut Trauma Centre in North Delhi this morning following which relatives of the victims staged a protest at the Delhi government-run hospital.
The deceased have been identified as Rajkumari, 35, Javed, 20 and Rehana, 36, while the fourth person, aged approximately 25 years, has not yet been identified.
Taking serious view of the lapse, Delhi Health Minister A K Walia ordered a probe into the incident.
Special Secretary in Health department S B Shashank will head the inquiry committee, which has been asked to file its report by Friday.
Senior physician of GTB hospital A K Sethi and Deepak Tempe, head of the Anaesthesia department in GB Pant hospital have been appointed members of the inquiry committee.
Officials said malfunctioning of the oxygen supply machine and network has been found to be primary reasons for the incident. A private entity from Punjabi Bagh area of the city, which set up the network few months back at the hospital, was maintaining the oxygen supply facility.
Expressing grief over the incident, Walia said all required steps will be taken to ensure that such incidents do not recur.
Walia said he will hold a meeting on Wednesday to review functioning of all Delhi government-run hospitals in the city.
Officials said Javed, a resident of Kashmeri Gate area, was admitted to the hospital with head injuries while Rajkumari from Swarup Nagar was admitted following food poisoning. Rehana, who had head injuries, had undergone a surgery.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP CM Yogi Adityanath takes 50 decisions without single Cabinet meet
- Triple talaq, polygamy integral part of Islam: AIMPLB tells SC
- Etawah: UP cops caught drunk while on duty
- Triple Talaq: Why AIMPLB are opposing the petitions filed in Supreme Court?
- Legal, illegal slaughterhouses in UP: What you need to know
- Kapil Sharma–Sunil Grover fallout: Kiku Sharda finally breaks silence
- Chinese national insults Indian flag, throws it in dustbin outside Noida Oppo office; massive protest takes place
- Left to die on road, pregnant Lucknow woman writes to PM Narendra Modi to end 'triple talaq', says 'I voted for BJP'
- Here's why Donald Trump called PM Narendra Modi
- Gautam Gambhir gives Aussies perfect send-off, says true champions let their game do all the talking!