5 killed in building collapse near Jama Masjid
New Delhi: At least five persons were
killed and 25 injured Tuesday night when a 70-year old three-
storeyed building collapsed near Old Delhi`s Jama Masjid,
prompting Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to initiate an
inquiry into the incident and on dilapidated structures in the
The building collapse, which was reported from Chandni
Mahal area at around 8 pm, came as a stark reminder to last
November`s building collapse in east Delhi`s Laxmi Nagar which
claimed over 70 lives.
Police said five persons including four women were
brought dead to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narain Hospital while 25
others who suffered head and limb injuries are undergoing
A senior fire brigade official said first an under-
construction building collapsed which had an impact on the
multi-storied building leading to its collapse.
However, some locals claimed that the occupants of the
ill-fated building was fixing a door when the incident took
place. They claimed that while the work was on, the beam which
was supporting the building collapsed, leading to the tragedy.
The locality where the incident took place is dotted with
similar "old and dangerous" buildings. Narrow lanes leading to
the disaster site has affected the pace of rescue work as
people found it difficult to reach the site.
Yogender Chandolia, Chairman of the civic body`s Standing
Committee, said MCD Commissioner K S Mehra has been asked to
enquire into the incident and submit a report in tomorrow`s
Standing Committee meeting. Chandolia said there were several
old and dilapidated buildings in the area.
Rescue workers worked hard to remove the debris in order
to locate survivors. A large number of locals gathered at the
spot and helped in rescue work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Missed the dance of American President Donald Trump? - Watch it here
- DNA: Manish Sisodia faces CBI probe over alleged irregularities in 'Talk To AK' programme
- Pawan, a BE student develops smart dustbin -Watch
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- Accused of Muslim-bias on visa applications, Sushma Swaraj hits back
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- Cuttack ODI: Umpire Kumar Dharmasena messes up DRS review, twitter couldn't stop trolling
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan