5 killed in building collapse near Jama Masjid
New Delhi: At least five persons were
killed and 25 injured Tuesday night when a 70-year old three-
storeyed building collapsed near Old Delhi`s Jama Masjid,
prompting Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to initiate an
inquiry into the incident and on dilapidated structures in the
The building collapse, which was reported from Chandni
Mahal area at around 8 pm, came as a stark reminder to last
November`s building collapse in east Delhi`s Laxmi Nagar which
claimed over 70 lives.
Police said five persons including four women were
brought dead to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narain Hospital while 25
others who suffered head and limb injuries are undergoing
A senior fire brigade official said first an under-
construction building collapsed which had an impact on the
multi-storied building leading to its collapse.
However, some locals claimed that the occupants of the
ill-fated building was fixing a door when the incident took
place. They claimed that while the work was on, the beam which
was supporting the building collapsed, leading to the tragedy.
The locality where the incident took place is dotted with
similar "old and dangerous" buildings. Narrow lanes leading to
the disaster site has affected the pace of rescue work as
people found it difficult to reach the site.
Yogender Chandolia, Chairman of the civic body`s Standing
Committee, said MCD Commissioner K S Mehra has been asked to
enquire into the incident and submit a report in tomorrow`s
Standing Committee meeting. Chandolia said there were several
old and dilapidated buildings in the area.
Rescue workers worked hard to remove the debris in order
to locate survivors. A large number of locals gathered at the
spot and helped in rescue work.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi