5 killed in building collapse near Jama Masjid
New Delhi: At least five persons were
killed and 25 injured Tuesday night when a 70-year old three-
storeyed building collapsed near Old Delhi`s Jama Masjid,
prompting Municipal Corporation of Delhi (MCD) to initiate an
inquiry into the incident and on dilapidated structures in the
The building collapse, which was reported from Chandni
Mahal area at around 8 pm, came as a stark reminder to last
November`s building collapse in east Delhi`s Laxmi Nagar which
claimed over 70 lives.
Police said five persons including four women were
brought dead to Lok Nayak Jai Prakash Narain Hospital while 25
others who suffered head and limb injuries are undergoing
A senior fire brigade official said first an under-
construction building collapsed which had an impact on the
multi-storied building leading to its collapse.
However, some locals claimed that the occupants of the
ill-fated building was fixing a door when the incident took
place. They claimed that while the work was on, the beam which
was supporting the building collapsed, leading to the tragedy.
The locality where the incident took place is dotted with
similar "old and dangerous" buildings. Narrow lanes leading to
the disaster site has affected the pace of rescue work as
people found it difficult to reach the site.
Yogender Chandolia, Chairman of the civic body`s Standing
Committee, said MCD Commissioner K S Mehra has been asked to
enquire into the incident and submit a report in tomorrow`s
Standing Committee meeting. Chandolia said there were several
old and dilapidated buildings in the area.
Rescue workers worked hard to remove the debris in order
to locate survivors. A large number of locals gathered at the
spot and helped in rescue work.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!