5-yr jail for jilted lover, accomplice in acid throwing case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday awarded
five years imprisonment to a man and co-accused for
defacing a girl by throwing acid as she neglected his marriage
The court also asked the man and the co-accused to pay Rs
1.6 lakh compensation to the girl for plastic surgery of her
"Since the convicts have caused hurt to a girl of
marriageable age by pouring acid on her face and defaced her,
they are ordered to undergo rigorous jail term of five
years and also pay a fine of Rs one lakh each," Additional
Sessions Judge Suresh Chand Rajan of a fast track court said.
The court, which absolved convicts Raj Sharma and Pawan
Sharma of the grave charge of attempt to murder under the IPC,
held them guilty of hatching a conspiracy and causing hurt
to victim Laxmi Rao on the night of May 2, 2004, at Lajpat
"80 per cent of the total fine be given to the victim to
enable her to get her face made by way of plastic surgery,"
the court said.
It rejected the plea of Raj, who used to work with the
victim in a firm, that they have been framed.
"Keeping in view of the facts and circumstances of the
case, the act done by the convicts, I am of the view, they
are not entitled to any mercy," it said.
Raj, angered by the victim`s rejection of his marriage
offer, had hatched a conspiracy with co-convict Pawan who
threw acid on her face.
The court took note of the fact that it was Raj Sharma
who took the victim to the hospital after the attack with an
aim to confuse the investigators.
The victim, who supported the prosecution case, however,
offered to compromise the case if the convicts were ready to
pay her enough compensation. The plea was rejected.
"It seems that the victim was not in love with the
accused (Raj) and she does not want to marry him and because
of this reason, he hatched a criminal conspiracy and got
poured the acid on her face by Pawan (co-accused)," the court
said in the judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- Arvind Kejriwal's Aam Aadmi Party changes its logo
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Militants kill five, target telecoms in Kashmir attacks
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah