5-yr jail for jilted lover, accomplice in acid throwing case
New Delhi: A Delhi court on Thursday awarded
five years imprisonment to a man and co-accused for
defacing a girl by throwing acid as she neglected his marriage
The court also asked the man and the co-accused to pay Rs
1.6 lakh compensation to the girl for plastic surgery of her
"Since the convicts have caused hurt to a girl of
marriageable age by pouring acid on her face and defaced her,
they are ordered to undergo rigorous jail term of five
years and also pay a fine of Rs one lakh each," Additional
Sessions Judge Suresh Chand Rajan of a fast track court said.
The court, which absolved convicts Raj Sharma and Pawan
Sharma of the grave charge of attempt to murder under the IPC,
held them guilty of hatching a conspiracy and causing hurt
to victim Laxmi Rao on the night of May 2, 2004, at Lajpat
"80 per cent of the total fine be given to the victim to
enable her to get her face made by way of plastic surgery,"
the court said.
It rejected the plea of Raj, who used to work with the
victim in a firm, that they have been framed.
"Keeping in view of the facts and circumstances of the
case, the act done by the convicts, I am of the view, they
are not entitled to any mercy," it said.
Raj, angered by the victim`s rejection of his marriage
offer, had hatched a conspiracy with co-convict Pawan who
threw acid on her face.
The court took note of the fact that it was Raj Sharma
who took the victim to the hospital after the attack with an
aim to confuse the investigators.
The victim, who supported the prosecution case, however,
offered to compromise the case if the convicts were ready to
pay her enough compensation. The plea was rejected.
"It seems that the victim was not in love with the
accused (Raj) and she does not want to marry him and because
of this reason, he hatched a criminal conspiracy and got
poured the acid on her face by Pawan (co-accused)," the court
said in the judgement.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Maysore Maharaja Yaduveer ties knot with princess Trishika of Dungarpur
- India becomes full member of Missile Technology Control Regime
- Singapore Airlines plane catches fire at Changi Airport
- Govt's insensitivity towards Pampore terror attack martyrs leaves nation stunned
- Mysore Maharaja Yaduveer Wadiar ties knot with princess Trishika Singh of Dungarpur, Rajasthan
- LIVE CRICKET SCORE: ODI Tri-series final — West Indies vs Australia
- Haryana to be open-defecation free by December 2017: Khattar
- Earth's ancient magnetic field had more than two poles!
- VIDEOS: MS Dhoni's wife Sakshi shares her adorable moments with daughter Ziva
- 26/11 mastermind Hafiz Saeed announces 'jihad to free Pakistani rivers from India'