56 cases for atrocities against women of NE states
New Delhi: Delhi Police have registered 56
cases against several people for committing crimes against
women from North Eastern states in the past three years.
Out of the total of 56 cases, a highest of 27 were
registered in 2009, as against 20 in 2010 and nine in 2008,
Minister of State for Home Mullappally Ramachandran told the
Rajya Sabha in a written reply.
"Delhi Police have initiated several measures for the
safety of women and these measures are applicable to the North
Eastern women also. In addition, all pockets where residents
from the North-East are staying have been identified and the
police stations concerned have been instructed to have close
interaction with them and also to enhance patrolling,"
The minister said detailed instructions have been issued
to sensitise the staff of the PCR vans and police stations so
as to make them more sensitive and empathetic towards the
problems and grievances of people from North Eastern region
residing in Delhi.
A cell namely "North-East Connect", headed by a Joint
Secretary level officer, has been formed in the Ministry of
Development of North Eastern Region to serve as a coordination
point with Resident Commissioners of all eight North Eastern
States (Assam, Meghalaya, Nagaland, Sikkim, Manipur, Arunachal
Pradesh, Mizoram and Tripura) and with the students and
citizen bodies of all NE states.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Navjot Singh Sidhu diagnosed with DVT: Know about this life threatening disease!
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Latest condition of Navjot Singh Sidhu: Sherry Paaji making steady recovery!
- The Pot Simmers: Beef Politics in UP; Beef Festival in Kerala