65-yr-old gets 2 yr jail for sexually assaulting woman in Delhi
New Delhi: A 65-year-old man has been sentenced by a Delhi court to a two-year imprisonment for sexually assaulting a woman, but was acquitted of rape charge.
Additional Sessions Judge Kaveri Baweja sentenced Manmohan Singh to two years in jail and imposed a fine of Rs 10,000 on him for assaulting the woman with the intention to outrage her modesty.
He was acquitted of rape charge due to absence of evidence with regard to his potency to establish physical relationship and also because the woman had not mentioned rape in her statement to the police and only deposed about it for the first time in court.
The court let him off on the charge of rape saying, "I find myself in agreement with argument of defence on absence of evidence with regard to potency of the accused."
The court also noted that "the victim, for the first time, has deposed before the court that she has been raped by the accused and hence her testimony to this extent cannot be accepted."
The prosecution case was that in September 2007, the victim saw an advertisement in a Hindi daily regarding vacancy for caretakers in a pharmacy in Karol Bagh.
When she contacted the office on phone, she was asked to come for an interview on October 3, 2007, about which she informed her family.
The victim said when she went there, she met a man who introduced himself as Manmohan Singh. He asked her inappropriate questions regarding her physical statistics.
When the victim objected to it, Singh told her such questions were being asked as they needed to hire active girls.
When she chose to leave the place, Singh offered her tea while he went to an adjacent room.
After consuming tea, the woman started feeling giddy and lost consciousness. On slightly regaining her senses, she realised Singh was sexually assaulting her but could not resist due to feeling of weakness.
When she did not return home till late evening and also did not answer phone calls, her family members reached the office and found that she was lying unconscious and being sexually assaulted by Singh.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- PM Modi's key campaign team member may join Nitish Kumar
- Woman robbed at gunpoint inside Hyderabad ATM
- Watch: Top 25 Headlines @10 am
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?
- Mumbai firm booked for denying Muslim MBA graduate job on religious grounds, probe ordered
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'