656 cases of smuggling, scuffle in Tihar
New Delhi: 656 cases of prisoners smuggling prohibited objects, threatening the jail staff and scuffle involving inmates have been reported this year in Tihar prisons.
In a written reply to the Lok Sabha, Union Minister of
State for Home Affairs, Mullappally Ramachandran said, "There
has been a total of 656 instances of prisoners being found
with illegal objects like tobacco, currency notes, threatening
the jail staff, scuffle involving inmates etc during the
current year till date."
Ramachandran said the prisoners were given punishment as
permissible under the Jail Maunal/Delhi Prison Act by the
"Departmental actions has also been taken against 10 jail
officials for dereliction of duty in connection with recovery
of prohibited items and scuffles between inmates," he said.
He also informed that the High Court had sought a report
in this regard from Tihar authorities and directed them to
take certain precautionary steps.
To check smuggling of prohibited articles and to stop
scuffles between prisoner in the jail, prison authorities
installed door frame metal detectors, CCTV cameras and 11
mobile phone jammers inside the jail premises.
Stringent searching and body frisking of every prisoner
visitor and jail staff too have been started, he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- VIRAL VIDEO: Damn cute! Why this 9-week-old's full head of hair is shocking the internet - WATCH
- I may not be with CM Akhilesh Yadav, but will always be with Mulayam Singh Yadav's son: Amar Singh