66 night shelters made operational: Govt to HC
New Delhi: The city government on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that it has made operational 66 temporary night shelters for homeless people, nine out of which are meant for the children.
In its status report to a bench of Acting Chief Justice AK
Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, the government said 66
temporary night shelters with necessary infrastructure are
Nine of these shelters are meant to cater to the needs of
the destitute children, government`s Standing Counsel Najmi
Waziri told the court.
Waziri said the night shelters have a capacity to house
7,700 people but at present the occupancy is only at the level
of 4,500 and the NGOs are required to inform the destitute
about the shelters as people are not turning up to avail the
Due to severe cold, the Delhi High court had on December
14 directed that all night shelters of the capital be
inspected and a report be filed by next Monday giving details
about them which would include their condition and occupancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Fresh plea in SC against triple talaq system
- Consumers will be compensated for unscheduled power cuts: Delhi CM Kejriwal
- Shocking! Man dies performing stunt in moving train in Mumbai
- China planning to stretch its Nepal rail link to Bihar: Report
- National child helpline number '1098' now launched in 25 languages!
- Lashkar-e-Toiba carried out deadly 2007 Samjhauta Express blasts: NIA to submit this US intel report in court
- JeM planning Pathankot-II with support from Pakistan's ISI, IM, conducting recce of Indian cities: Military intel
- Arijit Singh writes open letter to Salman Khan apologising and requesting him to retain ‘Sultan’ song – Here’s why
- Akshay Kumar with 'Housefull3' gang set to sizzle in saddi Dilli—See selfie!
- Megresults.nic.in & mbose.in HSSLC Results 2016: Meghalaya Board Tura Class 12th Arts exam results 2016 to be announced shortly