66 night shelters made operational: Govt to HC
New Delhi: The city government on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that it has made operational 66 temporary night shelters for homeless people, nine out of which are meant for the children.
In its status report to a bench of Acting Chief Justice AK
Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, the government said 66
temporary night shelters with necessary infrastructure are
Nine of these shelters are meant to cater to the needs of
the destitute children, government`s Standing Counsel Najmi
Waziri told the court.
Waziri said the night shelters have a capacity to house
7,700 people but at present the occupancy is only at the level
of 4,500 and the NGOs are required to inform the destitute
about the shelters as people are not turning up to avail the
Due to severe cold, the Delhi High court had on December
14 directed that all night shelters of the capital be
inspected and a report be filed by next Monday giving details
about them which would include their condition and occupancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- UP polls: When fans played spoilsport for SP star campaigner Dimple Yadav
- Have political parties diverted from development agenda in UP elections?
- Pakistan cancels licenses of weapons issued to Hafiz Saeed and his aides
- BMC election 2017 results LIVE: Counting underway - Big prestige battle for BJP and Shiv Sena
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- How Kashmiris use children for 'meri jaan Pakistan' type 'freedom struggle' - WATCH
- Maharashtra Civic Election Results 2017 LIVE: Shiv Sena ahead in Mumbai, BJP gains lead in Pune; NCP wins 4 seats in Ulhasnagar