66 night shelters made operational: Govt to HC
New Delhi: The city government on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that it has made operational 66 temporary night shelters for homeless people, nine out of which are meant for the children.
In its status report to a bench of Acting Chief Justice AK
Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, the government said 66
temporary night shelters with necessary infrastructure are
Nine of these shelters are meant to cater to the needs of
the destitute children, government`s Standing Counsel Najmi
Waziri told the court.
Waziri said the night shelters have a capacity to house
7,700 people but at present the occupancy is only at the level
of 4,500 and the NGOs are required to inform the destitute
about the shelters as people are not turning up to avail the
Due to severe cold, the Delhi High court had on December
14 directed that all night shelters of the capital be
inspected and a report be filed by next Monday giving details
about them which would include their condition and occupancy.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- GHMC election results: TRS scores landslide win; TDP-BJP wiped out
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...