66 Tihar inmates get job offers
New Delhi: As many as 66 Tihar inmates, who are on the verge of completing their sentences, were today hired by private companies during a recruitment drive at the jail premises.
Vedanta group and IDEIM India pvt ltd offered the highest number of placements while Taj Mahal group offered the highest package to Raju Parasnath, who has spent more than eight years in Tihar.
Parasnath, who earned the highest package, had completed Bachelor of Social work from IGNOU during his stay in jail. He secured job at Tajmahal Group of Companies where he is going to be placed as Assistant Business Development Manager for the salary of Rs 35,000 per month.
"I came here when I was 18-years-old charged for murder. My sentence was reduced keeping in mind my good behaviour. I completed my graduation in Tihar and have now got a job. I hope I will do justice to myself and my employers," he said.
Most of the inmates who have landed jobs are on the verge of being released and will now join soon after the completion of their sentences, officials said.
Thirty one companies participated in the event.
In all, 66 inmate students were selected to participate in this programme and the selection criteria was based on their good conduct.
They got jobs according to their skill and education, however, no women inmate participated in the placement drive.
Director General (Prisons) Vimla Mehra congratulated the candidates and also heard their complaints and grievances regarding the jail.
"I wish all of you a very successful life ahead and would like you to spread the message to your jail mates to maintain calm and keep good behaviour for their better reformation," she said.
Asked about the absence of women among the candidates, she said, "There should have been women too. There is no administrative clarity on the issue but I will check. I have no idea why they have not been involved but a special placement will be arranged for them."
"Thirty seven inmates got selected by various companies. Some of them got very good packages from People`s Own Foundation, Tajmahal Group of Companies, Da Pizza hutt, Aziz Media, Vedanta Foundation and Universal Enterprises offered in between Rs 8000 to Rs 35,000 per month packages to inmates for the positions like driver, plumbers, Marketing Executive, Business Development Manager etc," said Tihar spokesperson Sunil Gupta.
Talking about the remaining 29 inmates, Rajesh Chauhan, Superintendent of Central Jail No 3 said that they have also been placed in a shoe making unit.
"This was the seventh placement drive at Tihar and so far 400 inmates have been successfully placed by us in all these years," said Gupta.
Authorities said that the appointment letters will rest with the jail authorities and will be handed over to the inmates on their release.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Watch shocking visuals - Speeding car rams pedestrians in Kolkata, 3 killed
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof