67 pilots found tipsy in last 3 yrs
New Delhi: As many as 67 pilots tested
positive during pre-flight alcohol tests since 2009 and nearly
one-third of them are from Jet Airways, the Lok Sabha was
informed on Wednesday.
In a written reply, Minister for Civil Aviation Vayalar
Ravi presented data of pilots found "positive during the
pre-flight alcohol test."
The figures show that 67 cases of alcohol positive pilots
were detected between January 2009 to June 2011 with 20 pilots
being from Jet Airways. Nine pilots of Jetlite were alcohol
positive during the period.
Following Jet Airways, 10 pilots each of Kingfisher and
Indigo tested alcohol positive, eight pilots of Spicejet, six
from NACIL, two from Go Air, one each from Alliance Air and
Air India Charters, the data given in the reply states.
According to the reply, 33 tipsy pilots were detected
during the tests in 2009, 23 in 2010 and 11 in 2011 till June.
"Directorate General of Civil Aviation issued Civil
Aviation Requirement on November 30, 2010 which explains the
procedure to be followed for pre-flight medical check and
breath analyser test for alcohol consumption.
"As of now all crew members have to report for pre-flight
medical check. As per regulations 100 per cent checks of all
crew members should be done. DGCA officials also carry out
surveillance checks of pre-flight medical checks," the
He said action is taken against the erring pilots as per
civil aviation requirements and company policy.
"The crew is immediately grounded as per procedures with
loss of pay and allowances. If found positive for the first
time the pilot is kept off flying duty and his license is
suspended for three months. In case the pilot is again
detected positive, his licence is cancelled for five years,"
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Exclusive: Chat with 'Jazbaa' stars Aishwarya Rai and Irrfan Khan!
- Delhi government to add environment tax in electricity bill
- AAP govt suggests four-fold hike in MLAs salaries
- DNA: Indian Army's 'Phantom Guns’ to defend border with Pakistan
- Shaheed Express train's freight coach catches fire on Ludhiana railway station
- India vs South Africa 2015: 3rd T20I - Preview
- Modi govt turns down IAF's request for more foreign fighter planes, pushes for Made-in-India Tejas
- Indrani Mukerjea back in jail; claims did not take pills, was upset because of mother's death
- Unbelievable! Crops destroyed for Congress vice president Rahul Gandhi's rally in Karnataka
- Asaduddin Owaisi's brother Akbaruddin in trouble over poll speech, arrest warrant issued