7-year in jail for robbing cell worth of Rs 1000!
New Delhi: Robbing a labourer of his mobile phone worth less than Rs 1000 proved costly for a youth who has been sentenced to seven year in jail by a Delhi court, which expressed concern over "rampant" incidents of migrant workers being "victimised".
The court also slapped a fine of Rs 10,000 on Mohammed
Rafiq, who had robbed the labourer by threatening him with a
blade near railway station.
"Incidents of robbery in Central Delhi specifically
around railway stations are rampant. Poor migrant workers and
hapless ladies are being victimised by miscreants repeatedly,"
Additional Sessions Judge Surinder S Rathi said.
The incident took place on January 16 this year at
railway line near New Delhi Railway Station when the victim
Naushad Ali`s cell phone was snatched by the accused just
after he alighted from the train.
According to the prosecution, Naushad was stopped by
Rafiq who asked him to hand over all his belongings by
threatening him with a sharp edged blade.
Rafiq snatched the victim`s mobile phone and ran away. He
was caught by policemen after Naushad raised an alarm.
Refusing to accept the submission of Rafiq that he was
falsely implicated in the case, the court said that there was
nothing on record to show that the victim had any personal
grudge against him.
"Victim was a stranger to the accused and had alighted
from a train shortly before the incident and was going to his
work place when he was robbed," the judge said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Govt calls meet on Indus Water Treaty; Water Resources Ministry, MEA to brief PM Modi