72-yr-old man gets 5-yrs in jail for sexually assaulting minor girl
New Delhi: A 72-year-old man has been sentenced to five years in jail by a Delhi court which found him guilty of having sexually assaulted a 10-year-old girl.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain handed the sentence to Chandrika Prasad after pronouncing him guilty under the provisions of IPC and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on Prasad.
"I am of the considered opinion that the prosecution has succeeded in proving the guilt of the accused," the judge said.
According to police, an FIR was registered against Prasad in February last year on a complaint by the girl`s father.
The girl`s father said that he runs a shop here close to a factory where Prasad used to serve as a guard.
He said that his daughter used to visit him at his shop in the afternoon following which he used to home for lunch after asking Prasad to also keep an eye on his establishment.
But, on February 9 last year, his daughter girl told him that Prasad had molested her.
Prasad was arrested the next day.
During the trial, the minor girl told the court that she was molested by the accused at the shop, allegations which Prasad denied, saying that he was being falsely implicated in the case.
The court, however, passed its verdict after stating that there was no reason to "disbelieve" the girl`s testimony.
"In view of the fact that the accused (Prasad) failed to produce any contrary evidence... This court has no reason to disbelieve the testimony of the victim," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics?
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part II
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part III
- Till when will Kerala suffer violence in the name of politics? - Part IV
- Why is Mehbooba Mufti attacking Hindu beliefs for votes?
- Why are Antarctica ice-levels increasing? NASA has the answer!
- Buyout group to back rival's bid for Tata's UK steel assets - Sources
- French Open 2016: Angry Nick Kyrgios, Petra Kvitova pass chilly Roland Garros tests
- Working towards a technology which enables consumer to control electrical appliances at home sitting in office: TPDDL CEO Praveer Sinha
- Modi in Iran: PM promises big celebration of Guru Gobind Singh's birth anniversary