72-yr-old man gets 5-yrs in jail for sexually assaulting minor girl
New Delhi: A 72-year-old man has been sentenced to five years in jail by a Delhi court which found him guilty of having sexually assaulted a 10-year-old girl.
Additional Sessions Judge Pawan Kumar Jain handed the sentence to Chandrika Prasad after pronouncing him guilty under the provisions of IPC and the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act.
The court also imposed a fine of Rs 2,000 on Prasad.
"I am of the considered opinion that the prosecution has succeeded in proving the guilt of the accused," the judge said.
According to police, an FIR was registered against Prasad in February last year on a complaint by the girl`s father.
The girl`s father said that he runs a shop here close to a factory where Prasad used to serve as a guard.
He said that his daughter used to visit him at his shop in the afternoon following which he used to home for lunch after asking Prasad to also keep an eye on his establishment.
But, on February 9 last year, his daughter girl told him that Prasad had molested her.
Prasad was arrested the next day.
During the trial, the minor girl told the court that she was molested by the accused at the shop, allegations which Prasad denied, saying that he was being falsely implicated in the case.
The court, however, passed its verdict after stating that there was no reason to "disbelieve" the girl`s testimony.
"In view of the fact that the accused (Prasad) failed to produce any contrary evidence... This court has no reason to disbelieve the testimony of the victim," it said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Kejriwal knew Tomar possessed fake degree, says Yogendra Yadav
- Ajinkya Rahane to captain India on Zimbabwe tour; Dhoni, Kohli rested
- Shiv Sena slams HC order banning erection of pandals on roads
- Top leader of NSCN(K) arrested for Manipur attacks by NIA
- Vijender Singh turns professional boxer, to miss 2016 Rio Olympics
- India vs Zimbabwe: Ajinkya Rahane to lead; MS Dhoni, Virat Kohli rested
- Tihar Jail's security breached: Lt Governor Najeeb Jung orders probe, Centre seeks report
- #SelfieWithDaughter trends worldwide on Twitter after PM Modi's 'Mann Ki Baat'
- Chinese military research academy praises India's main battle tank Arjun, says it's 'very good'
- Gangster Abu Salem ready to tie the knot with girl seeking to marry him