75 caught for taking bribe in police stations in Delhi
New Delhi: Seventy-five police personnel posted in police stations were arrested in the city in the past three years for their alleged involvement in cases of corruption and bribery.
In the first 45 days of this year itself, a senior police official said, two personnel were caught on charges of bribery in two cases and were placed under suspension after registering cases against them.
While 32 policemen were arrested in 24 cases of corruption and bribery in 2007, the figures decreased the next year when 17 persons were caught in 15 cases.
Last year, however, the numbers again increased with the arrest of 24 people in 18 cases.
"A total of 75 personnel deployed in police stations were caught on charges of corruption and bribery in the past three years," a senior police official said. All of them were placed under suspension.
The official said surprise checkings are being undertaken by senior officials on regular intervals to ensure that there is no practice of corruption.
Close to 2,000 personnel with doubtful integrity were put under a secret list by Delhi Police in the last three years and were not given any sensitive assignments.
"There are some black sheep in the department. We don`t say that all policemen are honest. So we keep a record of those with doubtful integrity and keep a close watch on their activities," the official said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video