8049 cops, Rs 341 crore spent on VIP security in Delhi: SC told
New Delhi: Delhi government today told the Supreme Court that 8049 police personnel are deployed for giving protection to VIPs in the national capital at a cost of Rs 341 crore to the exchequer annually.
In an affidavit filed before a bench headed by Justice G S Singhvi, the state government submitted that its total budget for VIP security for the current financial year is Rs 3,41,24,32,000 out of which Rs 38,48,76,000 are to be spent for Rashtrapati Bhawan.
It, however, refused to name in the affidavit the VIPs who are being given security and pleaded that it would file the names of around 460 VIPs in a sealed cover.
"A list of dignitaries who have been provided Z+ security will be produced before this court in a sealed cover. Similarly, approximately 376 individuals have been provided security cover as central protectees and 83 individuals as local protectees and a list of such persons will also be produced in a sealed cover," the affidavit said.
"For 2012-13, total non-plan allotted expenditure was Rs 3,41,24,32,000 (security unit Rs 3,02,75,56,000 and Rashtrapati Bhawan Rs 38,48,76,000)," it said.
The affidavit said 63,985 personnel are deployed for maintaining law and order and 3,448 personnel are involved in crime prevention and investigation.
It said 5,847 personnel are deployed for traffic management and out of the total force deployed for VIP security, 844 are for security of Rashtrapati Bhawan.
The affidavit was filed in respone to the apex court`s order directing the Centre and all states to furnish names of the people given security and the expenditure borne by states on it.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Lalu Yadav's son Tejasvi Yadav wants to change the face of Bihar education
- Indrani Mukerjea attains consciousness; is now out of danger
- News reporter Hemant Yadav shot by unidentified bikers
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Is Salman Khan - Aamir Khan friendship over?
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?