‘84 anti-Sikh riot: Sajjan`s aide pleads innocence
  • This Section
  • Latest
  • Web Wrap
Last Updated: Friday, July 08, 2011, 23:54
  
New Delhi: A former MLA, facing trial along with Congress leader Sajjan Kumar in a 1984 anti-Sikh riots case relating to killing of six persons in Delhi Cantonment area, today claimed innocence before a city court saying it was a conspiracy to ruin his political career.

"I was not involved in the 1984 riots. It was a conspiracy to tarnish my image and political career," Mahender Yadav, who is an aide of Sajjan, told Additional Sessions Judge Sunita Gupta.

Yadav claimed he was not involved in any manner in the riots and he had already been acquitted by a city court earlier in another 1984 riot related case.

In his defence, Yadav submitted he was deliberately made a target in this case in an illegal manner.

Four prosecution witnesses -- Nirpreet Kaur, Joginder Singh, Jagdish Kaur and Jagsher Singh -- had deposed against Yadav and also identified him in the court.

The court is likely to begin recording of statement of third accused Kishan Khokkar from Monday while Sajjan Kumar is expected to be testify before the court on July 13.

The court had yesterday concluded the recording of the statement of former city councillor Balwan Khokkar, another accused in the case.

Balwan Khokkar had said he did not participate in the 1984 carnage in which several Sikhs were killed, contending that he rather helped them by giving shelter.

Besides Sajjan, Balwan and Yadav, other accused in the case are Krishan Khokkar, Captain Bhagmal and Girdhari Lal.

About allegations that Dayanidhi Maran, during his tenure as Telecom Minister, had laid a telephone exchange between his residence and office of Sun TV which is owned by his brother Kalanidhi Maran, Sibal said the case is being investigated by the CBI.

"CBI is obviously looking into the matter," he said. When pointed out that CBI has said so, the minister replied, "if CBI says so, it must have valid reasons."

Coming to the defence of Home Minister P Chidambaram, the government on Friday insisted that the former Telecom Minister had "no role anywhere" in the 2G spectrum allocation controversy

PTI


First Published: Friday, July 08, 2011, 23:54


comments powered by Disqus