‘84 riots: CBI recalls witness` statement identifying Sajjan
New Delhi: The CBI on Saturday recalled in a Delhi court the statement of a woman witness who had identified senior Congress leader Sajjan Kumar as the person addressing a mob and instigating it to kill Sikhs during the 1984 riots.
Resuming final arguments in the case, CBI prosecutor RS Cheema told District Judge JR Aryan that witness Nirpreet Kaur, whose father was burnt alive in the 1984 anti-Sikh riots, had deposed that she had seen Sajjan Kumar addressing a mob on November 3, 1984 and provoking it to attack and kill the Sikhs.
He argued Kaur had alleged in her statement that she had seen Sajjan Kumar and heard him saying, "No Sardar (Sikh) should be left alive. All their remaining houses should be burnt down. Kill all Sikhs as they have killed my mother (the then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi)."
Cheema also told the court that after the riots, Kaur was threatened by accused and was allegedly harassed by several security agencies as at the age of 16, she was a witness to the killing of her father.
Sajjan Kumar and five others, Balwan Khokkar, Kishan Khokkar, Mahender Yadav, Girdhari Lal and Captain Bhagmal, are facing trial in the killings of six people at Delhi Cantonment during the riots.
They are accused of instigating a mob to kill Sikhs in the wake of the assassination of former Prime Minister Indira Ganpdhi on October 31, 1984.
Kaur had earlier identified in the court Sajjan Kumar and three others as the persons who had allegedly instigated mobs during the 1984 carnage.
Cheema, whose arguments would would continue on April 23,
cited Kaur`s statement in which she had deposed how accused Balwan Khokkar and Mahender Yadav took her father Nirmal Singh on a scooter and later burnt him to death after taking a match box from a policeman.
He said Kaur was also implicated in three false cases, out of which she was discharged in two and acquitted in one. He said she had also remained in jail for eight years which showed the influence of the accused.
The case against Sajjan Kumar was registered on the recommendation by the G T Nanavati Commission. The CBI had filed two charge sheets against him and others in January 2010.
The trial court, in 2010, had framed charges against Sajjan Kumar and five others under Sections 302 (murder), 395 (dacoity), 427 (mischief to cause damage to property), 153A (promoting enmity between different communities) and other provisions of IPC.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Jamaat-e-Islami chief announces Rs 100 cr reward for PM Modi's arrest
- DNA: Captain Saurabh Kalia's torture at the hands of Pakistani Army
- India's second deadliest heatwave kills more than 2000 people
- DNA: Govt tests Maggi noodle samples from all states
- Zee Media exclusive interview with victim of Uber molestation
- Check CHSE orrisharesults.nic.in, chseodisha.nic.in for Class 12 (Plus Two) Result 2015
- Assam Board (seba.net.in & resultsassam.nic.in): SEBA HSLC / AHM class 10th Results 2015 to be announced today
- Anti-minority remarks by Sangh Parivar leaders 'uncalled for': Narendra Modi
- Was asked to call Sunanda Pushkar’s death `natural`: AIIMS doctor
- CHSE Odisha +2 Results 2015 (chseodisha.nic.in): Odisha Board Class 12th Result 2015 declared on orissaresults.nic.in