911 more low-floor buses to ply on road before C`wealth: DTC
New Delhi: The Delhi Transport Corporation
on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that 911 more low-floor buses
would be put on the road before the Commonwealth Games to
address the traffic problem in the national capital.
Appearing before a Division bench of Justices A K Sikri
and Reva Khetrapal, the Corporation said it would soon
introduce more than 900 buses which would increase the
strength of its fleet to 6,500.
The court asked the city government to chalk out a plan
to address the transport problem in the city in view of the
Commonwealth Games to be held in October.
"We have the Commonwealth Games coming in two months. Do
you think from that angle? Many people would be coming to the
city," the court said when the senior advocate Kailash
Vasudev, who is assisting the court, pointed out that
government has failed to form a policy to tackle the problem
of shortage of blueline buses.
He said that by the Supreme Court order there should be
minimum 10,000 buses in the city but government has failed to
increase the number of buses.
The court was hearing a matter in which it had taken
suo motu cognizance following an accident involving a blueline
bus in October 2008 in which 8 people were killed at Badarpur
The court had directed the phase-out of blueline buses,
after which the city government launched low-foor buses last
The court had also directed the city government to frame
guidelines for erring drivers, bus operators and owners for
violating traffic rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Man beheads wife; roams on streets with severed head in Pune
- Greater Noida women blames UP police for stripping off their clothes
- Vladimir Putin's attack on ISIS making America and NATO nations uneasy?
- I believe this election will punish the old govts that spoiled Bihar, says PM Modi
- Baba Ramdev's Patanjali enters big retail with Future Group tie-up
- Man beheads wife over suspicion of illicit relationship, walks on road with her head
- Why CBI is worried about Indian men’s lust for violent porn
- Bihar Assembly Elections: Opinion poll predicts absolute majority for Modi-led NDA
- What's happening in Noida! Now, a Dalit family resorts to nude protest
- Mother Teresa’s Missionaries of Charity orphanages to be derecognised?