911 more low-floor buses to ply on road before C`wealth: DTC
New Delhi: The Delhi Transport Corporation
on Wednesday told the Delhi High Court that 911 more low-floor buses
would be put on the road before the Commonwealth Games to
address the traffic problem in the national capital.
Appearing before a Division bench of Justices A K Sikri
and Reva Khetrapal, the Corporation said it would soon
introduce more than 900 buses which would increase the
strength of its fleet to 6,500.
The court asked the city government to chalk out a plan
to address the transport problem in the city in view of the
Commonwealth Games to be held in October.
"We have the Commonwealth Games coming in two months. Do
you think from that angle? Many people would be coming to the
city," the court said when the senior advocate Kailash
Vasudev, who is assisting the court, pointed out that
government has failed to form a policy to tackle the problem
of shortage of blueline buses.
He said that by the Supreme Court order there should be
minimum 10,000 buses in the city but government has failed to
increase the number of buses.
The court was hearing a matter in which it had taken
suo motu cognizance following an accident involving a blueline
bus in October 2008 in which 8 people were killed at Badarpur
The court had directed the phase-out of blueline buses,
after which the city government launched low-foor buses last
The court had also directed the city government to frame
guidelines for erring drivers, bus operators and owners for
violating traffic rules.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- Couple in Bihar asked to pay Rs 50,000 as 'tax' for inter-caste marriage
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave kills 223 in AP, Telangana, Chandrababu Naidu announces compensation; Delhi records hottest day
- 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' starts on a good note at the Box Office!
- CBSE 12th Result 2015 to be announced on Monday
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Death threat to PM Narendra Modi ahead of Mathura rally sends police into tizzy
- Organisation demands re-examination of AIPMT 2015
- Standoff with LG: Arvind Kejriwal calls emergency session of Delhi Assembly
- Kejriwal completes 100 days in office, AAP says centre 'shadow boxing' over row with LG
- CBSE Class 12th Board Results 2015 to be announced on Monday, May 25
- Online filing of applications for UPSC civil services exam begins
- No alliance with JD-U in Bihar: BJP
- Not just today, Muslims feeling alienated since 1947: Najma Heptulla