Aadhar not mandatory for availing of subsidies: Govt
New Delhi: Aadhaar card is not mandatory to avail of subsidies under government schemes including on domestic cooking gas, the government today said in the Rajya Sabha.
"Aadhar card is not mandatory for availing subsidies. If any public sector undertaking is doing it, we will correct it," Minister of State for Parliamentary Affairs Rajeev Shukla said.
He was responding to members` concerns that despite giving an assurance that the card was not a must for availing of services like opening bank accounts, admission in school and obtaining passport, some public sector undertakings were forcing the people to do so.
Raising the issue during Zero Hour, MP Achuthan (CPI-M) said that in Kerala public sector oil companies had made it mandatory for people to get Aadhar-linked bank accounts for getting subsidy on LPG.
Achuthan questioned that when the government had already made it clear that the card was not mandatory for availing subsidies, "who gave power to public sector oil companies to ask for Aadhar-linked bank accounts" for providing subsidies.
He lamented that there are thousands of people who could not get the card despite registration.
Several members from CPI, CPI-M, BJP and other parties associated themselves with the demand that non-availability of Aadhar numbers should not be made an excuse to deny subsidy and benefits to people under various schemes.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Congress workers thrash students for showing black flags to Rahul Gandhi in Raebareli
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people